When do you clamp your shoulder plane in the bench vise?
When you need to set a hoop on a Japanese chisel, of course. I found this set wrapped in a shoprag last month. When acquired, all six chisels were brand new and the largest was missing its hoop. I ordered one from Hida Tools and finally got around to working on it this morning. Needed to take down the top a bit.

Putting the plane in the vise seemed to be the best way to do this. I just rotated the handle over the blade. Then I finished up with some sandpaper. The rosewood sure did smell good. Hope I don't break out in a rash.

Now the hoop is set and ready for a turp soaking and wax. Time for another project.

===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
The most clever thing here is the duct tape over the cutting edge while you're working on the tool... Had one bite me the other day; should been doing this.
Leave it there and you'll always have a pencil sharpener in reach.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Blue painters tape works well too. It doesn't leave any residue, like duct tape can, if you leave it on for a long time.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/