Flummoxed by the French plane
I was cleaning up today and found this cute little French plane. We have all seen French furniture so there must have been some really good cabinetmakers. This little #3 sized plane was used by one of them. It looks like fruitwood, maybe pear(?). Anyway, I wanted to pull some shavings and the blade shone like a new penny. BUT the plane would not cooperate and I could not get it adjusted.

So I took the blade out and played with the adjuster gizmo.

The cap iron is not removable, you just turn the screw to raise it for sharpening. Once I looked closely at the blade I knew why I had a fight. The blade was sharpened at an angle and was not honed properly. Sure the bevel was bright and shiny, but the edge was a mess. I quickly ground it square and honed it. Then it pulled a perfect little shaving.

And now the international tensions are settled.

===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
On the last picture you did so well it looks like a nice with cloth.

That screw method looks promising on how to adjust it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Jim nice job, that is a cool looking little plane.

Steve
Jim:

Doe that blade look anything like this .... ?

" />

I found a whole pile of these in a box of parts I picked up at an auction this spring ... still trying to decide what to do with them ... the 40 must stand for the 40mm width ...

Red
Red Sawman said:

Jim:

Doe that blade look anything like this .... ?

" />

I found a whole pile of these in a box of parts I picked up at an auction this spring ... still trying to decide what to do with them ... the 40 must stand for the 40mm width ...

Red

Exactly. Pretty clever gizmos
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Interesting. I've never seen that style of blade/chipbreaker before.
[Image: 19883933659_baf12312a0_z.jpg]
Oh great here we go with a new rendition and debate over the feasibility of the French micro adjust chip breaker. LV will have one out next year so we can all get that perfect setting.

Jim you might even get credit for inventing it. Chris Schwarz sometimes gets credit for inventing the Roubo bench.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
There's probably a reason that they didn't become too
common. That's just a hunch, but I admit when it comes
to this style of plane I know notsing.

Chipbreakers on wooden wedged planes require a little engineering. This solution keeps all of the engineering on the blade and saves the planemaker from changing his traditional methods. I'll bet they marketed this "improved blade set" and killed the other blademakers.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice work! It looks like one of these is available on *Bay right now. Look under this title:

3 vintage German smooth planes Garantie goldenberg DRGM lignam vitae user tools
Chris