Building a prototype
I have learned through the years that building prototypes and mock ups saves time and also makes my projects turn out better. An added bonus is having fewer reworks by first using throwaway scraps instead of good project wood.

Work on my Japanese chisel set continues. After I set the ring on the large chisel, I decided that they would be easier to use if they were mounted on a stand. I grabbed some scraps and my glue gun and went to town. Here is what I came up with:

And here is it with the chisels in place.

I learned a few important things. The slab sides are thin pieces of a 2x4 and they are too wide. I think I will cut the final down to three inches. Big news is that there are three different handle sizes!!! I sized the holes using the large chisel. It fits, but the blade is larger than the hole. I encountered that before and can cut darts to fix that problem. The two smallest chisels, however, are smaller than the others and they are two different sizes. I will take that into account on the finished project.

So the large holes would have been a BIG problem because the smaller chisels just fall through. Prototyping pays off big this time.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I wish prototypes worked for me. I get too detailed, then bored, to continue into a final. I have tried cardboard and foamcore mockups. The nicest are those corrugated plastic sheets used for campaign signs. You can cut and tape; then tear them down for another iteration, or new project. I guess CAD is my way through concepts and prototyping.

It looks like you have similar storage for another set. How do you identify, or keep, them in the containers in indexed fashion? Also, are there any worries about the exposed edges?
I was wondering about the edges, too. I'd prefer something with a physical separation of the sharpened parts, but maybe that's unfounded. A little experimentation with the mock-up would show if it is a real concern or not.
I have a timilar tool rack at the back of my workbench, against the wall. Actually it's my RAS bench, but it doubles as a workbench. I was worried about sharp edges and Pointy things, so I covered the front with pieces of thin acrylic. Works great and allows a clear view of the tool blades.

I used to make 2 of everything. The first one would get all the trial cuts, and the inevitable mistakes. The second one would be the keeper. I usually gave away the first one, people still seemed happy to receive it.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
I understand some might be afraid of getting cut. It is not really a problem for me. I worked summers from age 12 to 17 running a hospital lab. Once you learn the protocols you don't put your fingers where they do not need to be and it becomes habit. Here is the first one I made and it does look like a test tube rack. Five years + and no cuts yet.

===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim-

My concern was more for the edges of your chisels than for your fingers with the potential for dinging them against one another putting them in or taking them out. Bandaids are cheaper than good steel and stones.

Phil
Phil S. said:

Jim-

My concern was more for the edges of your chisels than for your fingers with the potential for dinging them against one another putting them in or taking them out. Bandaids are cheaper than good steel and stones.

Phil

Yah, blood grows back and you never know the difference. Chips however....
I like the idea of a rack. I currently have a small rack on the front apron of my bench ( Paul Sellers style ) but plan on adding a tool shelf on the back apron again similar to what Paul did.

Jim I like the idea of a proto type and Hank yours looks like it will hold almost everything.

Steve
I don't often use prototypes unless i'm in a hurry. At least for my own projects I like to just let them evolve if I have the time. My rack has been "evolving" for about two years now but I'm working on it again and most likely finish it soon, haha. Some things are just leaning where I think they might go, others are where I know they will go but haven't drilled the hole yet. The 6" steel rule in front of the protractor head will be mounted on the front of the walnut base between the brass tabs with rare earth magnets. I just kept track of which tools were hanging out on the bench and tried to make room for them. I've got still a couple more to add like saws and things but at the moment my toolbox without sides holds 50 tools. It just hangs on the back rail of the bench and can slide side to side if need be. Of if it is really necessary I can lift ot off completely and it will stand on its own. The back row of chisels are 720's and other paring tools the front row of chisels are 750's. I think you can see everything else. When I'm finished I'll post about the whole rack and tools but since this thread was inspiring I thought I'd add to it.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.