Aldi chisels are back.
The Paul Sellers-endorsed Workzone chisels are back in Detroit area Aldi grocery stores. If they are the same as the ones that Aldi imported last year, they are solid, well made tools at a crazy cheap price: $6.95 for a set of four ash handled, bevel edged bench chisels.

If you already have a good set of chisels you probably don't need these but they make a great first set.

Last year they sold out in a week or two locally.

http://weeklyads.aldi.us/Aldi/BrowseByPa...otionViewMode=1
Last time these were the subject of a thread, there was a robust discussion. My view remains that cheap is cheap, and always will be, notwithstanding Sellers' man crush on these.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

Sellers' man crush on these.

Must be a northern Aldi thing? I've never seen tools in the Aldi's around here
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It is a cheap shot at Sellers, no doubt.

Cheap or not, anyone can find a better deal than the Aldi chisels, please share.

Simon
I just got back from Aldi and am sorry to report that the chisels that they are selling are nowhere near as good as what they had last year. Blades are coarsely ground, sides are far thicker and the handles are made of some nondescript hardwood (?) of the sort that I'm used to seeing on Chinese tools. In short, they look like what Harbor Freight sells. No, I didn't buy but I'm glad that I did last year.

My apologies to anyone who rushed out to Aldi this morning in response to my tip.
I have a set of 3 beater chisels with fluorescent ORANGE plastic handles. They find many chores around the house and have saved my good chisels many a chip. For $6.95 these seem like a no brainer.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Handplanesandmore said:

It is a cheap shot at Sellers, no doubt.
Simon

Not meant like that, he is very good at technique, and a good teacher, but is somewhat aggressive in his opinions and sometimes strays off the reservation in his touting of bargains. I think this is one instance where he should know that quality varies incredibly when the no name manufacturer is the retailer's low bidder in China. Just my opinion, others may differ.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Quote:

but is somewhat aggressive in his opinions and sometimes strays off the reservation in his touting of bargains

And that is exactly the way I feel about him..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the alert. I just drove to Aldi and purchased a set. If the steel is not top notch, the purchase is still worthwhile. I am not averse to more frequent sharpening. I am a fan of Paul Sellers. In my opinion his sharpening technique is fast and effective. I now use it on plane irons as well as chisels and couldn't be happier with the results.
I agree with Admiral. Paul Sellers sometimes seems to want to over-simplify things. I thought the way he "restored" a hand plane in his video was rather crude. He didn't even remove the knob and tote to freshen the finish. It's almost like he doesn't celebrate his craft. He is clearly a journeyman, but perhaps lacks the soul of an artist.