You say "routah" and I say "H&R"
So today's project was to continue working on the salvaged rocker. I need to get moving if I meet my fall delivery deadline. Today's task was to work on the seat. It is four pieces which have roundovers for woven seat products.

This looked like an H&R job. I welcome a chance to pull out one of the sets and put it to work. The first set I found was a nice set made by CROW. The #10 matched up nicely.

First order of business was to remove the stuck wedge. It was probably last tapped into place just before the outbreak of WWI. For those of you keeping score at home, that was over 100 years ago. I finally removed the wedge and carefully used a pocketknife to scrape junk from the sides. The blade was poorly sharpened and also dull. I worked on it for a few minutes and got it shaving sharp. I got lucky because my index finger is about #10 size, so the last honing was with paper over finger.

Then it was time to get to work. Using the hollow is pretty simple. Adjust the blade for a whisper shaving and start on the corners. Work with the grain and just meet in the middle. The plane quits cutting once the profile is made. It went quickly and I ended up with some pretty shavings. These planes are York pitch and work exceptionally well on hardwoods--poplar in this case.

My daughter and her family are in for a treat. Their rockers will come with lots of stories.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Cool!!! A project in progress! I saw the original pictures.
Looks great, Jim. Be fun to watch your progress on this project.
Nice job Jim, keep up the good work I am sure the chair wil be a beauty when you are finished with it.

Steve