Interesting old bench stop
I picked this up Saturday at a yard sale in Hampton Falls,NH. Based on the W.B.Kean patent of Aug. 13, 1850. I can't quite make out the company name, it's just too weak in the middle. I can make out C.C.Sprxxg Worcester, the x's standing in for unreadable letters. It's interesting that the patent info says it's not known to have been produced, but it obviously has been.

Edit: I did some looking around on the web. C.C.Spring & Co. existed in Worcester as early as 1850 and as late as 1871. That's all I could find for references, they may have been around far longer.

Datamp.org

Pretty nifty. Do the threads just allow for turning the stop around, or are they part of height adjustment?
Bill_Houghton said:

Pretty nifty. Do the threads just allow for turning the stop around, or are they part of height adjustment?

The threads are the height adjustment. You pull on the spring loaded ring, and rotate the head to raise it.
That's interesting Steve. I guess to have it flush in the bench top one would need a round hole so it could rotate. How thick a bench top do you think it could handle?
Jim

Never mind I see the metal base gets screwed in from the top. I guess you would need a slot behind to have room to pull the retaining pin.
Jim
Boatman53 said:

That's interesting Steve. I guess to have it flush in the bench top one would need a round hole so it could rotate. How thick a bench top do you think it could handle?
Jim

Never mind I see the metal base gets screwed in from the top. I guess you would need a slot behind to have room to pull the retaining pin.
Jim

I guess you would either need a recess for the ring or mount it in a spot where it could stick out.
Yes I guess ot could be mounted on the edge so the pin could stick out, didn't think of that.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
With the ring in a mortise it would be a maintenance issue to keep it clear of sawdust and other trash. Having it at the edge of the bench would make it easier to keep clean, but maybe not the most convenient location for use.
I have a very similar one, made by Millers Falls. The stop part is the same, four separate holding edges, but the mounting device looks a bit different. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see.
Good find!

I have thing for bench stops....

....well....

....and a few other tools.

Cheers -

Rob
Rob Lee said:

Good find!

I have thing for bench stops....

....well....

....and a few other tools.

Cheers -

Rob

Have you got one of these in your collection yet ?