Signing a table
Building a farm table out of a hickory tree that was killed by storms in 2011

I want my grandson to sign the underside because some day I'm sure this will be inherited by them.

I plan on using Arm r seal to finished the table.

What kind of pen could I use that would not smear?

Thanks
I use pencil. My study of antiques showed me that all inks fade over time but pencil stays pretty fresh.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Sharpies work well for me. I have a cutting board that's about 11 years old now that I signed with a Sharpie and it hasn't faded at all. Once dried, Arm-R-Seal goes over it with no problems.

Whatever you use be sure to give it a try on some scrap to make sure it works as you expect.

John
+1 for pencil. When I rebuilt the barn in our back yard about ten years ago I found 'this barn built September 1887 by Noah Halsey' written in pencil on one of the collar ties. How long do you need yours to last?
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Have moved furniture, torn down walls and hauled off old lumber dating back to the 20's with the clearly written pencil marks still on the wood.
Use a "soft" pencil with more graphite than clay and it will last.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Check out a paint pen. Might be the ticket for what you want.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Drill a small hole in the bottom and affix a penny there too. Get one minted the year the table is put into service.
Those are the coolest little discoveries on old, antique furniture.
Uniball Signo RT is the only pen that I have found which, once the ink is dry, will not smear with polyurethane, shellac, or lacquer. If you sign & start wiping a finish on right away, it will though - need to sign and then either let it have time to dry or pad a few layers of finish on by using a straight up-down motion first. (Can you tell I'm primarily a turner & like to get done *N-O-W*? )
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Electric branding iron with year attachment numbers. Number 1 or 2 pencil also works well.