Stanley carriage maker's rabbet plane
I picked this plane up on Sunday. Somebody had spray painted the body with flat black lacquer. I used acetone to wipe it all off. Unfortunately, the japanning is 95% missing. The good news is the body is unbroken or repaired. The better news is it's a 10 1/4C.

What's the diff between a #10 and the #10-1/4, Steve? It also looks like you can tilt the tote on this one or is something else going on there? I don't think I've seen that before.
Phil S. said:

What's the diff between a #10 and the #10-1/4, Steve? It also looks like you can tilt the tote on this one or is something else going on there? I don't think I've seen that before.

Tilting handles. Much rarer that the regular No.10. The corrugated is far rarer than the smooth bottom.
Very nice. I hope you paid a screamingly low price for it.

Now, let me see if I can keep a straight face while I say this: you'll find the missing japanning will increase the effort needed to use the plane. The japanning, by smoothing the plane body, reduces turbulence and thus reduces drag. Nope. Couldn't keep a straight face.

My No. 8 jointer said goodbye to the last scrap of japanning long before I got it, and it's been working fine.
How cool is that! Looks like the nickers are unique to this model as well. Other than the japanning it looks like it is in great shape.
Nice score. I've always liked those planes.
Very nice find Steve. You come up with the most amazing tools. Congrats.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
SteveF said:

Tilting handles. Much rarer that the regular No.10. The corrugated is far rarer than the smooth bottom.

That's being rather modest, Steve. This could be an early contender for "find of the year".

Congrats man.. I hope you paid $5 for it!

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Boatman53 said:

Very nice find Steve. You come up with the most amazing tools. Congrats.
Jim

+1 ......... on what Jim said, you do find some Gems for sure.

Steve
Awesome find!! I wish I could find one of the those.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$