Suggestions for an animal control problem..
We have an elevated deck that has a stairs down to the ground level. For some reason an unknown animal has decided the top of those stairs is it's toilet. So maybe 3 times a week I'm hosing the pile off and racking my mind on how to stop this (always seems to occur at night, possibly very early morning). I may try to watch early and see if I can shoot the critter, but is there some other approach that might work? I considered getting an electric pet fence charger, but don't see a good option for the grounding contact (I'm assuming the deck won't provide a ground)...maybe a piece of hardware cloth put across the deck at the point of violation? I was thinking of just stringing the hot wire across a few points around the top of the stair...I'm certain one or 2 jolts might break the habit. Anything else that might work?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Raccoon! Hot pepper flakes sprinkle liberally.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Two good suggestions above

Know anyone with a game camera to catch the action?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Cayenne pepper works here.
I use a motion sensor hooked to a radio and light
Claymore
I've had good luck with Hav-A-Hart live traps. Once caught you can dispatch/relocate depending on your laws or conscious. Be aware that you can catch animals you don't want to, such as skunks. I've caught several-just need to be more careful with the release!
PhilJoines said:

Claymore

Do they have some that would be low impact to the deck?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Jim said:

I've had good luck with Hav-A-Hart live traps. Once caught you can dispatch/relocate depending on your laws or conscious. Be aware that you can catch animals you don't want to, such as skunks. I've caught several-just need to be more careful with the release!

I don't know which model Hav-a-hart trap I have, but a large raccoon just arched his back and the door opened (not the trap door). it was unnerving. That was after he tried to pee on me!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
fixtureman said:

I use a motion sensor hooked to a radio and light

Set the radio real loud to acid rock and give it a heart attack.