Suggestions for an animal control problem..
I had similar problems with groundhogs in my garden.I tried everything,traps, etc. Finally solved the problem with electric fence.
Mine operates off two D cell batteries that are good for about a month.
Do a search for electric fence and the one I bought begins with the letter Z,forgot the name.The voltage is about 2000 /3000 volts.This will shock them but not hurt them or kill the critters.Voltage shocks,amperage would kill if it was that high.
They sell a starter kit,perfect for you.Consists of a charger,fiberglass posts ,aluminum wire etc. If you have a Tractor Supply store near you they carry this brand.Possible the box stores may have electric fence.

mike
Big dog tied to the step.
      now why did i come in here.
ron
Since this thread popped back up, I thought I'd mention: my first attempt with the cayenne pepper didn't work, the critter pooped again. Thinking I may not have spread enough around, I doubled it up to give a good coating to the surrounding area and copped the offending pile off. I also added some red pepper flakes for good measure...here's hoping!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Could be a fox, too. Try some moth balls. This is supposed to work with small critters.

Or set the alarm a couple times during the night see what it is and. I believe the feces is how it is marking its territory.

Believe it or not, I've heard human urine can keep an away, too.
If it is wild life where I live I think you have to use a licensed animal control agent.

Once you catch it, where are you going to release it?

I knew a guy who had to get rabies shots after a raccoon spit in his eye. So be careful.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Got up the other morning and had two dead opossums right off the back patio.
Our dog does that. I do wish she would put them in the trash when she's done though.

I try and trap them, but they got to where the smell of cat food means bad news.
Please don't mention the "licensed animal control" thing to Ohio; we have enough stupid laws already.

Cooler said:

fredhargis said:

I have no intention of trapping the critter....it's either it goes away or it dies.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

Please don't mention the "licensed animal control" thing to Ohio; we have enough stupid laws already.

[blockquote]Cooler said:

fredhargis said:

I have no intention of trapping the critter....it's either it goes away or it dies.

[/blockquote]

Ohio has a rather extensive set of regulations on this subject:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501%3A31-15-03
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler said:

[blockquote]fredhargis said:

[blockquote]Cooler said:

fredhargis said:

[/blockquote]

Ohio has a rather extensive set of regulations on this subject:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501%3A31-15-03

[/blockquote]

Just say it wasn't a "nuisance" and there ya go.
Just wanted to put a pin on this one. Turns out my problem was/is coons...notes the plural. There was a family of 5 living under one of the deck stairs. Using a variety (mostly 22 rimfire) of means I eliminated 3 of them, and subsequently 2 others, but am not sure if they were the remaining 2 of the family. In addition, have seen others out and about in the yard so my task isn't over. We are literally run over by them, I take an early morning jog and it's not unusual to see several crossing fields heading for nearby woods. So I've pinned this post for me to reference and thank everyone for the suggestions. BTW, the cayenne pepper seemed to stop the problem that started this: using my deck as a toilet.