Nakashima style desk
My latest project – another derivative/copy of a Nakashima desk/sideboard called Minguren. Unlike his, which were made with Walnut, this one is Cherry with Walnut keys. While the drawer looks different – it’s just the current state of the toning of the wood – all of it will darken to the same reddish brown most people think of Cherry wood looking like. The keys are ostensibly there to stabilize a crack in the wood, but truthfully they are there because I wanted to try my hand at them!
My first time trying a water based poly over shellac. Not sure yet whether I like the look of the finish - but certainly it was fairly nice to not gas my brain and lungs while putting it on.
" /> " /> " /> " />
Nice!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Well played!
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
Well Done Sir! Totally
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I like the keys. Very nice work. You realize that shellac comes in a bunch of collors naturally and if they aren't what you want you can add TransTint to get about any color. Of course you can ad transtint to regular shellac you don't need to dissolve your own.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes