1st Floor Renovation - Build Along - Pics
Very cool. Nicely done. I just tiled our hall bath and new laundry room and also used a backer. I'm really surprised when people don't use it. There is a bath and the entry hall on our 1st level (next project) that was tiled directly on the ply. I'm surprised that the hall held up over the years but the smaller tiles in the bath are toast.

As to hardi-backer vs durock vs wonder board... I used all three on the latest work in this house and I didn't like working with the hardi-backer. Hard to snap-cut and I also didn't like the warranty for vertical wet locations. I've always used durock in the past so it was also my first time using wonder-board. I really liked the wonder-board the best. It is stiffer that the durock and not quite as messy, the easiest of the three to cut and it was easier to snap in a straight line. I hope it holds up as well as the Durock I've used in the past.

I've enjoyed your Renovation thread. You do nice work. Once I figure how to get pictures from my camera's pictures through windows 10, I'll do a reno thread too. They aren't as interesting without pictures. I think Hugh Heffner said that first.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(06-20-2016, 08:48 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Well that was a fun weekend.  Lots and lots of time masking.

If you were going to do it again, would you still mask and spray, or just paint it with a brush?

Getting ready to do mine, was planning to brush it...
Thanks for the kind words!
Cool 

I'll keep the wonder-board in mind for the next job...few years down the road...but will be tackling the kitchen 
Sarcasm

Probably not...but that's only because I didn't really consider how much of the dye and gel stain I would eventually get onto the risers.  I had to cut in the risers and spindles again anyway, so any speed gained by spraying was quickly lost due to the time to mask and then touch up after.  Doing it over...I would have finished the treads first and let the poly fully set up...THEN masked and sprayed....that would have been more optimal...but then you're also relying on your masking job to not mess up the wood treads.  I guess no good/fool-proof way to go about it... 
Smile
Looking good. Sorry you had to learn the hard way about poly-shades... man that stuff is ugly. Nailed down the tile backer. Any reason you didn't screw it?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(09-02-2016, 06:28 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Looking good. Sorry you had to learn the hard way about poly-shades... man that stuff is ugly. Nailed down the tile backer. Any reason you didn't screw it?

It was worth a shot...figured if it worked it would have saved me days of work.  It didn't...
Smile

Nails were only for the next person that owns this house and possibly doesn't like the tile.  The nails are an approved method and it means that removal can be done by just using a large demo bar and pry the hardi boards and tile at the same time.  I pulled about 150 sqft of tile to do this project. (bathroom and foyer)  It was on 1/4" luan (without thinset under the luan) and was rock solid 30 years later....would have been a nightmare trying to find and remove all the screws versus just prying it all up.
Smile
Had some more time over the holiday weekend to make some good progress on the wood floor.  Now have 3/4 of the living room down and all of the foyer/closet.  Now to move the boxes of wood out of the dining room and into the living room so that I can prime/paint the dining room and hang the crown.

From kitchen/hall :

[Image: 24_LivingFoyerFloorDown_zpsq5q1hh5a.jpg]

From front door:

[Image: 25_LivingFoyerFloorDown_zpshrv1wzkh.jpg]
Been a while since I've posted an update so I snapped a quick picture last night.  Got the dining room painted then took a long weekend off to enjoy some time with the wife and some friends.  Got back and got the crown hung in the dining room.  Last night I finished out the flooring in the living room and am about to floor the dining room.  Fingers crossed that I can get the dining room done tonight and tomorrow.

[Image: 26_LivingFloorDone_zpsjqh3klvq.jpg]
(08-29-2016, 12:49 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Was making pretty decent progress on the flooring when I hit a detour.  Wife decided that wood in the guest/half bath wasn't worth the risk and that we needed tile instead.  So rather than finishing off a room of wood floor this weekend, I finished setting some 2" hex tiles
Smile

[Image: 23_BathroomTileSet_zpsybgpups1.jpg]

Projects have a way of morphing into more, more and more.  BTDT.  My bride continuously puts in "change orders" midway through a project.  My mistake was doing a really good job (excellent if I must say so myself) on some built-ins for our study/office, prompting her to say that the result exceeded her expectations.  Now she expects more and more with each additional project!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
nice job on the stairs.  looking at the work involved, i'm really glad i had someone do that for me when i needed it done.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
I can finally officially check a room off the list.  Used the time this weekend to complete the bathroom.  Base molding installed, pedestal sink installed and toilet set (only three trips to the Depot to get the sink set and plumbed
Smile )
[Image: 27_BathroomDone_zps49yzve0q.jpg]

Then took the rest of what was left of the weekend and got the molding installed in the living room.  Still need to fill holes, caulk, and touch up paint and then I can call this room done as well...
[Image: 28_LivingTrimed_zpsi364wtp6.jpg]

Thanks!
Kevin