Goodell Pratt eggbeater rehab, Part I
I spent my shop hour this morning going over one of my shop mascots, a GP eggbeater. It looks like it just came off the factory line--hope I look that good at 100! The action was a bit sluggish so I squirted some oil in the oil holes. That did not seem to help, so I cleaned them out with a wood splinter--ugh. Black tar oil residue was abundant. I scooped most of that stuff out and the next oil squirt did the job. Then I wiped down the tool and looked at the chuck. It was sluggish and the lobes did not sync so I removed it.

That is when things started to get interesting. One of the lobes snuck under the floating base and kept the chuck from being replaced. Just picture a three lobed heart valve which has the lobes held together by springs--three lobes and three springs. I could see that one was sprung but could not get the lobe into place.

Internet research shows the springs to be problematic on this tool chuck. They are often stretched or even missing. I could see that the inside walls of the chuck were grubby with oil residue and that probably led to the spring problem. As with heart valve problems, this chuck needed to be cracked open. I do not have a spanner wrench and this chuck was not giving up easily. It was adventure time. I doused the chuck with Liquid Wrench and dashed off to HF to pick up an "adjustable pin wrench" that they sell for use with angle grinders.

Here you see the pin wrench beside the chuck bottom. No dice as the pin wrench pins are a tad too big. Soo, do I want to file the pins down or start over? I decided to start over and make my own spanner. I grabbed a walnut stick from the scrap bin, put a hole in it, used my pin trammel to mark the other and drilled it. Then I hammered two nails into the holes and ground off the tips--instant spanner wrench.

As you can see, it fits perfectly.

My next move was to load the chuck into a vise, using a shoprag to protect the finish. Liquid wrench did his trick as the chuck quickly gave it up and started to spin.

There is a picture of the three lobes and springs. Two are in good shape and one needs to be rewound.

This mess was exacerbated by gunk in the chuck. Here is a picture of the inside.

And here is the cleaned up chuck inside. Notice the wiping sock. 100% cotton socks make great shoprags.

My next task is to rewind the spring and put everything back together. It is getting hot so that is a task for tomorrow.

Will the Goodell Pratt survive chuck surgery? Can the spring be rewound successfully? Is work in it's future? Or is it destined to be relegated to eye candy status? Tune in for our next installment, GP part II.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I have found this spring available from McMaster Carr to work well in Goodell Pratt chucks. They are slightly longer than the originals, but the function is fine.

Specifications:

Part Number: 9657K281
Spring OD: 0.125"
Wire Diameter: 0.016"
Compressed Length: 0.24"
Maximum Load: 3.12 lbs.
Rate: 6.10 lbs./inch
Additional Specifications: Zinc-Plated Steel Music Wire—Closed Ends
0.75" Overall Length
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I had Bob restore a couple of egg beaters for me.

He does outstanding work!

Jim, I am enjoying seeing how it is done.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Good stuff I am glad to see you posting your rehabs again, I always enjoyed them. I have a couple egg beaters that need refreshening as well. Anxious for tomorrows episode, the humidity has been a little tough for the last couple weeks.

Steve