Help fixing up a Bailey #5
I have a partial Bailey #5 that I would like to make into a user. As best as I can figure it is probably a Type 19. I cannot find a date or patent number. The front adjustment lever has “STANLEY” stamped on it; there is a “U” stamped on the lower left section of the frog face; and the number “144” is stamped on the iron. Below are pictures to help identify the plane and/or parts needed. Sorry about the super sized photos. Photobucket was not cooperating, so they did not get re-sized.

All parts seem to be in decent condition EXCEPT it is missing three things: the FRONT KNOB and SCREW, and a SCREW FOR THE TOE of the tote.

This will be my first attempt at rehabbing a plane. I just want to make it into a user, not a beauty queen to sit and be admired on the shelf. So if anyone has parts in their bone yard that they would be willing to pass on for a not too costly consideration, I would appreciate it greatly.

Sincerely,
Al Heitz (wood2woodknot)

you have a WWII era plane

The giveaways:

• the rubber adjusting wheel (brass was in short supply)
• the 144 on the back side of the iron indicates a manufacture date of the 1st quarter of 1944
• thicker-than-normal sidewall castings
• stained beech, rather than rosewood handles, etc.

You may also find that you have one piece tote and knob fasteners, rather than studs with brass barrel screw cap ends
It looks like a wartime type 17 to me. It has a whitewood tote and a wartime plastic depth adjuster wheel. Also the sole casting looks thick like type 17s. Check the blade for three numbers. The first digit is the quarter of the year and the second two digits are the year digits. Good score for you because these wartime planes turn out to be outstanding users. When it cools off, I will check the boneyard for your missing pieces.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Joe & Jim,

Thanks for the information. I know nothing about types...just tried to ID them from a couple websites. I couldn't tell a Bailey from a Billabong. Everyone at WoodNet is always helpful and willing to share their knowledge. I find WN much better than several other of the forums around.

I have another question. I'm not sure if I have it put back together right. Isn't the knob under the iron supposed to change the depth of the blade in the mouth when you turn it? I see it move forward and back, but no blade movement at all.

My first guess would be that (judging from your photos) you're missing the chipbreaker.
This part attaches to the iron (blade) and a small square in the chipbreaker fits over the pin in the frog, thereby moving the blade up or down.

pin in frog:

assembled chipbreaker and iron:

btw: the top-most part in your first photo is not a part of the bench plane in question (it appears to be the adjusting lever from a block plane)
Joe,

Thanks for your eyes. This is what was assembled when I got the plane. Confused me with two levers, but I had never seen one of these before and thought maybe I put it back together wrong. I have a couple odd irons and breakers from another plane that I broke. Maybe one will fit.

When I was trying to figure out what type it was, I was hoping one of the websites would have pictures of the planes broken down. Everything I saw was just verbal descriptions of distinctive parts for each type.

My wife has tried to fix me for decades, and nothing has worked. I think she's given up now.

Oh, the PLANE....

If it has rust, a wire brush or light sanding will help; if there's lots do a soak in citric acid. Hard to tell from the pics how much there is. Add the missing parts, sharpen and adjust as needed, and you are off to the races. Looks like it has a nice patina, I wouldn't sand that off.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
More dirt build up than rust.

If I could tag onto this thread. Just would like some info on this Bailey No 5. I've been slowly going through 2 trunks of tools that I inherited that were originally my great grand fathers. I'm not a hand tool guy but I needed a plane so I pulled this out.

Just curious on the age.

In the casting the last date is April 19-10

Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I'm just trying to figure if this would have been my grand fathers or great grandfather's. There is mix of stuff. Unfortunately, one died 40 years ago and the other 65 years ago... So there's no one left to ask.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15