Worth buying? Hand crank grinder
Just curious what these go for? Asking price was $30. I'm not sure which brands are the better ones so I didn't get it. But they have the sale going on till tomorrow so I may go back.

I use mine a lot, but it's the only grinder I have at home. I paid $10 for mine at a swap meet. I see prices in antique stores all over the map. Make sure the shaft isn't bent and that it turns smoothly. Being able to hold blues with both hands is good, but you get used to using one pretty quick.
$15, maybe, maybe $20 and then if in good shape, no repairs, complete, there's some work to do in cleaning, lubing, etc. Be sure to check it carefully for casting cracks or repairs in the clamp area and case, these are notorious for those defects, more from banging around in milk crates and such. Some have funky shaft size, so check it and availability of a new wheel in that size. I only buy them when in exceptional condition, and then they are worth $30-35.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Would agree with others on warnings/advice - looks to be in decent shape, tool rest is there, etc. but $30's kinda antique mall/eBay range. $15 would be OK, $10 would be better.
If it works smoothly I don't think it's too far out of line, especially with an intact tool rest. I use something similar all the time, though I've replaced the wheel with a Norton and use a Veritas tool rest. I would offer a little less and try to get it for 20 or 25.
I used to collect hand grinders. I have a bunch of them. I'd pay $30 for that one. But not if it is cracked or the gears are worn out, like the Admiral said.

At least it still has it's tool rest. Most are missing that important part. And the original paint looks to be intact, a sign that it might not have been abused and not used all that much. Whether you pay $30 or $25 or even $10, an old tool like that, in relative good shape, the difference in that small amount of money isn't all that important. You are not talking about a difference of hundreds of dollars. You can easily pay that much for lunch.

When that grinder was made, they didn't just paint it. That finish is the true Jappaning. It will clean up beautifully. Looks like it has the original grinding wheel. Another sign that it hasn't been used much. Get a good wheel dresser and dress the front surface so it's straight and even and it will be good for a long time.

Hand grinders like that are no longer being made and never will be.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
No. You don't ride a horse or use the outhouse. I got on for five bucks and never use it. Anybody near Woodbury NJ it's free. Makes no sense at all. O, you'll never find whale oil for that whale oil lamp.
It's pretty hard to argue with Marv's advise. Those hand crank grinders have really started drying up in the wild. The generation that used them have pretty much moved on. I look at tools like these and often wonder how much they would be if reproduced by LN or LV. They wouldn't be cheap and $30 for a nice one is a drop in the bucket.

If lee valley plans to do a hand grinder we'll see a picture on April 1st.
I agree with Marv. If it spins smoothly and you want a grinder like that, $30 isn't a bad price. (If you're a haggler, offer $20 and see what happens.) Hand-cranked grinders can be a little tricky to use since you have to hold the tool with only one hand, but it's more difficult to burn/blue an edge. Once you get the hang of it, it's kind of fun to use.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop