Shop tip Hint--it's not just for breakfast anymore
So here is a tip for woodworking nerds like me who wear white socks. No, not fashionable wool socks. Not sporty athletic socks. Just plain ole 100% cotton socks. In use, they wear out quickly because cotton lacks the durability of blended fabrics. What do you do with the old ones? If you are like me, you keep them in the back of the sock drawer. Someday, you might feel compelled to clean it out. I did today and found several surprises. Here is the list:
six pennies
one safety pin
one precious drawing on yellowed paper with "I love you dad" from one of my daughters
my college diploma from UNC (yes, it was in the sock drawer, and no, I do not know why, but it has been in a safe place and undisturbed for years).

It was time to clean out the drawer and remove all of the socks that passed their prime. Of course, these things are very handy in the shop. A clean 100% cotton sock makes an outstanding shop rag. Socks are easy to hold in your paw and are very absorbent. I really like them for wiping up glue squeeze out. Anyway, I found a nice dispenser for them in an empty juice bottle. With the top cut off, it makes a nice sized sock dispenser. Once I chug more juice, I have enough socks to put these in strategic spots all around the shop. Shoprags close at hand--what a dream! Realized at last...
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
It's always nice to see someone living the dream.

John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Nice tip, I will keep this in mind, although I don't wear socks so often anymore. I am pretty sure my socks are either dress socks and the ankle types which I wear with my boat shoes or my New Balance running shoes, no I can't run right now .

Steve
I see a thread coming where new sock ragers trade pics of their sock dispensers - kind of a modified tissue dispenser.
Some will make their dispensers out of quilted maple with ebony trim and "mouth". Others will use plywood scraps. Recycled juice bottles will be part of the folklore when there are no longer members who can remember who originally designed this essential shop fixture.
Option #2: Recycled socks go to the automotive/yard machine department for oil rags and dipstick wipes (they're thicker and absorb a lot of oil). Tee shirts end up in the woodworking division for ms wiping rags, wipe on finishes, tack rags, clean up (much easier to fold, cut, handle, get in corners).