Goodell Pratt eggbeater rehab, Part II
The time has come some spring action. When we last left the eggbeater, it was in pieces and diagnosed with a tortured spring. I decided that spring technology might have advanced during the past 100 years, so I ordered some new springs. In the meantime, I thought I would take a stab at rehab. My plan was to aggravate the spring on an appropriate form and try to tease, force, cajole it back to its former glory. I found the perfect form for it in a #6 finish nail. Here is a shot of one of the good springs. Fit is tight but not stretchy.

Here is the bad spring.

I kept working it with needle nosed and flat pliers. Pushing, pinching, tugging, swearing, etc. I was finally able to tease it back to a close version of its original glory. Size and tension are more important than looks here. It should work well enough until the replacement springs arrive.

Getting pretty hot in the shop. Final assembly is delayed for a water break. Will the reassembly go without a hitch? Will the re-bent spring hold up? Tune in for our final posting to find out...
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com