Snagged Another EBTH Machinist Chest
EBTH keeps listing machinist chests on their Columbus auction site, so I keep buying them. The latest is a Kennedy 26" wide with user-made base (very well made too!) and an ample supply of machinist tools - mostly Starrett and good-quality Craftsman with the crown logo.

Top well of the chest - original felt - very nice!

The condition of the chest is excellent with only wear shown is on the lower edge of the front panel where it slides underneath the bottom drawer.

I need to stop - otherwise, my friend in da UP will drool all over his keyboard.

r2
lilrichard2 said:

I need to stop - otherwise, my friend in da UP will drool all over his keyboard

Too late....have a spare keyboard?
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I like the selection of screw jacks in the second photo, although the color's a little off...not quite Marv's favorite JD green.

The little sheet metal thing in the middle puzzles me, though; how did a corner strut for a wooden in/out box stack (that is, putting one atop another, with space in between so you could use the lower one) get in a machinist's chest? Does it have uses in machine work of which I'm not aware?
You would use four of those stamped metal legs to stack paper trays, usually on an office desk.

Bill_Houghton said:

I like the selection of screw jacks in the second photo, although the color's a little off...not quite Marv's favorite JD green.

The little sheet metal thing in the middle puzzles me, though; how did a corner strut for a wooden in/out box stack (that is, putting one atop another, with space in between so you could use the lower one) get in a machinist's chest? Does it have uses in machine work of which I'm not aware?

castguy2003 said:

You would use four of those stamped metal legs to stack paper trays, usually on an office desk.

[blockquote]Bill_Houghton said:

[/blockquote]

Straight from the Great Paper Era.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I had a bad experience with EBTH, but I am glad they are working out great for you.

I think if I lived closer to one of their warehouses, and could pick up locally, I might try them again.

However, after my bad experience, I would never trust them to ship me anything. They tried to pull a bait and switch on me, after weeks of saying, "your planes will be mailed soon".

They weren't mailed after a month, and then they said, "we could only find half of the planes in the original lot". The Bedrocks were gone, and only the Baileys were left. Gee, I wonder how that happened.

Their continuous lies and poor customer service, put them on my "never again" list.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
castguy2003 said:

[blockquote]Bill_Houghton said:

[/blockquote]

Yeah, that's what I meant, but didn't say as clearly as you did; but why in a machinist's chest?
my tool chests all have some weird little parts in them, I think it just happens. Less for me now that there are more metal scrappers roaming the earth desperate for little pieces of metal. Must feed the beast
Martin S. said:

I had a bad experience with EBTH, but I am glad they are working out great for you.

I think if I lived closer to one of their warehouses, and could pick up locally, I might try them again.

However, after my bad experience, I would never trust them to ship me anything. They tried to pull a bait and switch on me, after weeks of saying, "your planes will be mailed soon".

They weren't mailed after a month, and then they said, "we could only find half of the planes in the original lot". The Bedrocks were gone, and only the Baileys were left. Gee, I wonder how that happened.

Their continuous lies and poor customer service, put them on my "never again" list.

Martin,

I certainly understand your feelings and would definitely feel the same way had I received the same treatment from EBTH. My situation is much different in that I seldom purchase anything that needs shipment, and if so, it's a small-dollar iitem or package.

I'm fortunate in that we have a number of sales in the Columbus area and I have the opportunity to preview the items before final bid. Believe me, I would not have bid as much on several items had I not seen them beforehand. Additionally, I get to meet and become acquainted with the dealers. I'm now known by the EBTH workers in the Columbus area as the "toolbox guy."

If you're ever in the Columbus area, look me up, I will be happy to show you my areas of interest.

r2
Richard,

Are you going to swap and shop at Woodcraft Saturday? If so I will see you their.

Charles
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!