Cost of concrete piers
What should digging and pouring foundation piers cost? I need 4 of them, 48"deep and 12" in diameter. The soil is sandy with no rocks so auger would work well, hand digging not so much as the sand would keep caving in. This is in central WI. It seems hard to get someone to do it. So far I only got one estimate = $1,000 for the four. I am starting to think that I'll have to pour them myself.
Actually that may be a good price taking into consideration that is 12in and 4ft. deep means on a truck and then is it easy to get to,then because of the sand you are talking some sono tubes,then because it is less then 1 yd. of conc. he is going to pay a delivery charge which is probably based on how far the truck is going to deliver it.So Good luck on your project.
You can do up to an 18" hole with most two man augers. 1K is high for a job that small but it's high because it's a small job.

Might want to look into renting an auger and getting someone to help. It's a 2 hour job of drilling and setting tubes and rebar. That is assuming it really is all sand.

Our soil is sand as well and digging can be easy or hard. Middle of summer it's like concrete. When it has a little moisture it's easy to dig. That little bit of fine silt helps it pack hard.
If you were close to Chicago I'd give you a hand while visiting a friend there.
Hand dig- keep pushing the sono tube down to deal with the cave ins. Plus, wet the sand - it will help minimize the cave ins

Can't help with the cost of concrete

Robert Adams said:

You can do up to an 18" hole with most two man augers. 1K is high for a job that small but it's high because it's a small job.

Might want to look into renting an auger and getting someone to help. It's a 2 hour job of drilling and setting tubes and rebar. That is assuming it really is all sand.

Our soil is sand as well and digging can be easy or hard. Middle of summer it's like concrete. When it has a little moisture it's easy to dig. That little bit of fine silt helps it pack hard.
If you were close to Chicago I'd give you a hand while visiting a friend there.

I actually live close to Chicago, but the project is in Wisconsin:-)
Yes, I have looked into renting the auger and having the concrete delivered. All added up including the tubes and rebar - probably around $400. And I'd have to figure out what to do with an extra half a yard of concrete. One yard is minimum and 4 piers is about half that. It's definitely all sand. When they dug the house foundation about 7 feet deep, it was a sand pit. Not a single stone. There will be some roots but no really big trees close by.
Here the will take the left over concrete back
You want to use an 18in auger on a two man and go 4ft deep ,good luck with that if you can find that kind of set up. Hand digging with sono tube being pushed as you go is the cheap way to go.Trust me on this one.Lots of experience with this.
Looks like I can rent a tow-behind auger locally for a $100 per day. So you are saying I need to use an 18" auger for a 12" pier? I was actually wondering about that too. Thank you.
bgosh said:

You want to use an 18in auger on a two man and go 4ft deep ,good luck with that if you can find that kind of set up. Hand digging with sono tube being pushed as you go is the cheap way to go.Trust me on this one.Lots of experience with this.

No I said they were available up to 18". And 4' deep is no big deal in sand or clay but rock is another matter.
I'd just usa an auger and a 14" bit and an extension if needed as the big bits I have used are long enough to make a 4' deep hole. In sand it takes less than a mi use to drill a hole that deep. The auger will dig right down. Often faster than you want to.
Ah, ok. Still good to know that I need to use an auger a little bigger than the size of the pier. I'll give it a try. It really is about a foot of sandy loam and then nothing but sand so is should drill fast