Evaporust v. Diet Coke?
I know some folks "poh-poh" the use of evapo-rust and for the life of me, I don't know why. In the past I used electrolosis with a batter charger but I think it's a pain in the rump. Evapo-rust does turn things gray but that only lasts a few days till the metal exposes itself to the elements. Once that happens, I wipe down the tools with a tiny bit of motor oil.

This is a 4-1/2 soaked overnight. . It wasn't a total basket case but it was rusted throughout. Rinsed in cold tap water and wiped down with a rag.

[Image: Stanley4-12002_zps56b067e3.jpg]

[Image: Evaporust002_zps059818d8.jpg]
I agree that Evaporust is the easiest all-around solution to rust removal and also the safest since it does not involve electricity.  The stuff is a little pricey.  Citric acid made from the powdered product sold by brewing stores works equally well.  If you mix it with hot water and then submerge the tool it works extra fast.  Paint and japanning are not affected.