Finishing a mallet?
Hi all,

I'm working on my first joiner's mallet based on a design Roy Underhill presented in a Woodwright episode.

I've gotten the mortise cut, and the handle rough-shaped and fit. What finish do people recommend?

Thanks,

Tom

Id do the whole thing in black shellac. This is waxy so test for adhesion with GF Enduro Conversion Varnish its spray only and you need to really mix the catalyst well.. as a topcoat for the head only. This will likely crack with time so a pure tung oil finish my be better.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
couple of coats of BLO should do just fine. Good looking mallet.
BLO, Danish oil.....something close to the wood and non slick.

one coat of WB or oil poly and you're good to go.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I use Tru-Oil, a gunstock finish, on my mallets except for the faces, which I leave along. One coat does it for me, as it can get shiny with multiple coats.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Wonder why he didn't spread the handle for a "palm fit" no slip capability?

Ennyhoo, something of a surface finish on it should be fine. Just a spray coat or two so that glue won't stick as well and other liquids penetrate if you carelessly lay it in harm's way.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Very nice to see a mallet head of one piece. Good job. I won a laminated head mallet at Hand Tool Olympics once. It wasn't as nicely balanced as my own mallets so I never used it. Also it had been soaked in linseed oil for a month and after a while it stank up the whole shop. After a year in a box I hung it up on the wall. A few years later I noticed the handle hanging on the wall with no head. The thing had delaminated and the pieces just fell to the floor. That won't happen with your mallet. I would oil your mallet and rub it well to remove excess.

Warren
I would douse with 1/4BLO:3/4 turps, wipe and let dry. A month or so later I would follow with paste wax.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
MM, the handle has to fit through the mortise in the head, so it can't have a bulge in the handle.