Finishing a mallet?
Looks nice. I have a round headed mallet I made where I soaked the head in BLO overnight. As Warren says, it takes forever to cure, but it added a lot of weight to the mallet. If you use a penetrating oil like BLO, do the ends. If it's a surface varnish, then leave the striking surface natural. A penetrating oil when cured will add some stiffness to the striking surface. On another mallet I have like yours, I took a scrap piece of leather and glued it to one of the surfaces. Works great for coaxing tight fits together without marring the surface.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the leather to the face suggestion. I will try that on my next mallet.
Mike Brady said:

MM, the handle has to fit through the mortise in the head, so it can't have a bulge in the handle.

Doesn't have to come out again, does it? I'd consider glue and contour.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks for the great suggestions, all!
eg54string said:

Thanks for the leather to the face suggestion. I will try that on my next mallet.

Redneck leather (aka Duck Tape) also makes a great striking surface. I have had my carving mallet sheathed in in for years. The tape reduces bounce.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Good suggestion. Thanks. One thing you will never hear a redneck say: "Duct tape won't fix it."
Hmmmmmm another outlet for the ole Duck Tape . Great invention.

Steve
My mallets are finished with Danish oil. Let the head soak in it if you want to add extra weight.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Nice mallet. I made a largish one using some beech. It is my holdfast mallet. I have not put a finish on it yet and if I ever feel the need, a simple coat of BLO maybe thinned a bit with mineral spirits will do the trick. No need for anything fancy.