Knockdown Nicholson Build - Progress + Finish Recommendations?
Another quick project post. I've just finished putting together a "Knockdown Nicholson" a la Chris Schwarz. I improvised on the plans a bit, using extra ash I had in the shop. I also went with walnut accents on the stretchers and crochet.

I've seen recommendations around letting the bench "settle" for a few weeks before doing a final top flattening.

Is a simple oil finish best for this?

Thanks!

Tom

Nice bench! Several here have asked about plans for a knock-down bench. You might want to post some details and more photos of your bench for those guys. As for the finish, the topic is almost as contentious as sharpening. Everybody seems to have a different opinion. I used a tung oil finish on my bench and waxed it. It's very tough and glue doesn't stick to it. But it is a little slippery and some folks don't like that. Slippery doesn't bother me. If I want something to stay put, I clamp it with a hold down, put it in a vise or between dogs.
FWIW, Chris _used_ to rag on a coat of two of a mixture of equal parts BLO/varnish/thinner. These days, though, he's been toothing the tops of his bench(es), no finish, for extra grippiness. I, however, am a glue-up/finishing slob, and too lazy to put down a layer of cardboard first – so I use that finish on mine to make it easier to wipe off drips...
Very nice looking bench, you did a great job. You will get different opinions and most are all good, however in saying that my current bench is "naked" no finish and I personally like it better than my older finished one. I built a Paul Sellers style bench mainly because I happened to had a Record vise looking for a home. I do love the Nicholson Style bench and thought very hard about building that one.

My new bench now almost 3 years old does everything I need and want it to do, and I really appreciate the extra height, mine is 38" to the top of the bench. No more back pain.

Steve
That is a natty looking bench!

I have been swiping mine with a toothed iron I got for the 62 plane or #80 paper on the DA or both depending on my mood and the amount of dry glue / paint / yuck I got. Every couple of months or so, it seems...
Then, a fresh coat of Danish oil.

No furniture top for me, mine is reasonably sacrificial.
Ag