How can I pull a push mower up a steep hill?
I have a very steep hill that I have to mow (or weedeat). It would be much easier with a push mower (lowered down the slope and pulled back up-repeatedly) than with a weedeater. It just so steep that weedeating is very tough.

My 1st thought was a winch (electric AC or DC), but the duty cycle won't allow it. I think a hand-crank winch would be too slow.Simply pulling it up with a rope is possible, but very fatiguing when done over and over.

Anyone have an idea?
Plant something that doesn't need mowing.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
How about CROWN VETCH
Are you really serious??? If you can not mow sideways then you have a very serious problem. As mentioned plant rocks.
John T.
I'd consider planting something, but we have snakes (copperheads and rattlesnakes). Keeping this hillside covered with grass keeps the snake population way down. I already cleared out a ton of ivy on the other side of the house and we have fewer snakes than ever.

I'd tier the area, but the cost is exorbitant.
it reads like a rather steep slope. my concern with a push mower would be the engine keeping proper lubrication as theyre usually splash lube engines.
Get a goat or sheep
You're right. But I would get a Lawn-Boy with a 2-cycle engine just for this hill. I don't think anyone makes a 2-cycle mower nowadays, but these are available. Many of the lawn services used them as their "small" mowrs.
I'd get a goat, but the coyotes would make that a failure!
I'm with MsNomer that the very best solution is don't mow. There are a number of low growing plants that might substitute for grass - although I appreciate the need for varmint control. I spent a lot of years in the parks business and this is a common problem. Other choices are to be careful with the species of grass you plant and consider a growth regulator on the plants. Another (pricey) option is a 'hoover' mower. The are a couple of companies that make them for this purpose, although I have no personal experience with them.
IMO safety is your primary concern. Pretty easy to trip and fall whether you're actually trying to mow the slope (best to pick a diagonal path) or jury rig a method of pulling it up and down the hill.