Electrical Question
I would like to drop a small sub panel or connector down by my pond.

The distance will be up to 300 feet so I'm wondering how to calculate the correct wire to use from the panel to the sub/box by the pond.

Today I'll only be running some pond areation pumps at about 3 amps each when running so a 12 amp circuit would do but once I have electrical down to the pond I'll think of other uses so I was thinking about running a 30 amp 120 circuit.

What type of wire should I use?
How deep do I need to bury it, I'm in the country so I don't think I have any code to follow but I'm probably wrong.

Any suggestions or questions I haven't thought of?
Call a licensed, bonded Journeyman electrician.
Just because you might be able to do a thing doesn't mean you should try to do that thing.

Why on Earth would you need a 30A circuit by a pond?

Get a solar panel & pump & it'll be far cheaper.
Its going to be pricey! Less than 3% voltage drop needs #2 copper!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

try using this calculator: http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html
This wire size calculator would be easier if you don't need to know the specifics.

Wire Size Calculator

Oh, and good luck! Start cruising Craigslist now for some feeder cable. Heavily consider using 4 conductor cable so you'll have to option to double your amps later.
If it were me I'd be burying 2" conduit 2' or deeper. Overkill but it's nice to know it won't be in the way later on. 18" is code (typically)

The gauge of the wire.... Well like already shown in the calculators it's big wire for a small circuit. Also if your main panel is a long distance from the power company supply you may run into other problems. I see it allot here where the Elec company runs too small conductors to houses over very long distances and overloaded to start and no matter what you will see lights dim when the ac kicks on. It's becoming more common as the Infrastructure isn't upgraded in older neighborhoods but houses are added and houses have bigger panels installed.
You can get by with using both poles,15amp, 6ga wire, but solar might still be a better option.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

My electrician ran a circuit out to my gate to run a battery charger for a gate opener and lights.

It was app 200' w/ #10 wire.

I think #8 copper for 300 feet would be ample.

BUT -- consult an electrician.

I NEVER use underground wire anymore ALWAYS run it in conduit. Rent a ditch witch and go at least 2 feet deep.
Buried conduit is still considered a 'wet' location so you have to use wire rated for wet conditions.
Super Industrial Strength

Larry
How about running just the air instead of electricity. 1/2" tubing is cheap and no codes to worry about. Bury it any convenient depth and just laugh if you hit it with the lawn mower or backhoe.