Some great service from Harbor Freight
I know it seems peculiar to have a 12" Harbor Freight SCMS in bed with our heavy duty professional tools (37" wide belt, Northfield 12" jointer, etc) , but we use it for cutting up rough, wide slabs before processing. Don't need accuracy, and we beat on it fairly hard. After 4 yrs of this, the blade guard finally broke. Trying to get a replacement guard from HF was a royal run around.
I go into the local HF store in Minneapolis, tell my tale of woe to the manager. So, he says, "Tell you what, bring the old one back, pick up a new one, simply buy the extended warranty($50) and we're cool, we want satisfied customers".
I was stunned, and took him up on his offer.
Don't know if this is a general HF thing, or a particular store manager, but I felt it worth sharing.
I was in there today to pick up a 1" twist bit I couldn't find and the guy in front of me brought in this reciprocating saw that looked like it was used and abused beyond recognition. They told him to just go get another one off the shelf and exchange it.
The girl at the counter told me that even if you run over it with your truck, it's covered if you buy the warranty, but even then they sometimes find it easier to just swap them out and sell the warranty if you hadn't one.
Yep- I'm surprised too.
A friend just bought an upright air compressor from HF. The guy told her to buy the 2 year warranty and to make sure to bring it back in 22 months- complain it won't hold pressure, and continue the cycle.

I've had great experiences at the Des Moines store as well. Bring in a broken tool, "Go pick out the replacement and we'll exchange them at no cost." If the original tool wasn't available, there was generally something similar they let me use for the exchange. Zero complaints.
goaliedad said:

A friend just bought an upright air compressor from HF. The guy told her to buy the 2 year warranty and to make sure to bring it back in 22 months- complain it won't hold pressure, and continue the cycle.

I don't care what "the guy" said. That not right. Sooner or later someone has to pay.

Reminds me of why CostCo had to change their policy. It just screws over the honest people with a legitimate problems.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
ruffcutt said:

I don't care what "the guy" said. That not right. Sooner or later someone has to pay.

Reminds me of why CostCo had to change their policy. It just screws over the honest people with a legitimate problems.

It's getting harder and harder these days to find people with integrity, good for you.
ruffcutt said:

[blockquote]goaliedad said:

[/blockquote]

Very true. It's also called consumer fraud.

Costco changed their policy on most electronics but most everything else is still covered under the old nearly forever warranty. They kind of have to because if you try to get a warranty repair on some items the manufacturer will deny it. The reason being is that many costco products are grey market goods. IE they buy them on the market outside the US and import them to the us and sell them. Technically legal but those products don't have support from the manufacturers.
sweensdv said:

[blockquote]ruffcutt said:

It's getting harder and harder these days to find people with integrity, good for you.

[/blockquote]

I did not say I agreed with "the guy". My reaction was they must be under a lot of pressure to sell the extended warranty. I know a guy that sold appliances at a chain store years ago- the commission on the warranty was the bulk of his pay. I should have clarified my feelings in my original list. Sorry I failed the test

The cashiers get a cut of the extended warranties.
Deleted
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK