Dovetails Give Time
Life is a Journey, the destination is sketchy. Take back some of your time, hand cut some dovetails.
Word!
Handcut dovetails give time? Surely you jest. Handcut dovetails TAKE time but are such a pleasure when you succeed. Just starting my 4th Hope Chest with handcut dovetails. A labor of love to be sure.
I taught myself how to do hand cut dovetails by watching VHS tapes. They're probably on YouTube now. I remember Rob Cossman was one of them. I still have those tapes but no machine to play them. Everything's gone to DVD. I need to go back and watch them as I haven't cut any in several years , having no shop. But I got all the tools. Those Japanese dovetail chisels were wonderful.

It's great to go back and look at your joinery. When I look at my daughter's desk I can hardly believe that I actually cut those dovetails by hand. Such narrow little pins. Now everybody wants to get things done fast. Took me forever to do those dovetails but I can't think of a better way to spend time.
I feel that way about the van conversion I've been working on for 18 months. I've put 12-1500 hours into it. Sometimes I ask myself why, then I remind myself that almost every moment was enjoyable, so why not?
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Couple of years ago, I posted a project where I cut full blind DTs and many of the comments were "I would not do that much work if no one will see them" I think those that were making that comment were missing the point of it not always being about what others will see or not see.