Leveling a sloped yard
One side of our yard is sloped but the shade makes it an ideal location to setup a patio. The area I want to level is 20'x20' and I estimate it slopes downward 1' over that 20' away from the house--so about 200cuft of fill needed. I plan on using treated timbers to frame the area and then fill it with soil. I'm going to reseed the area after it's leveled.

Some questions. Do I need to dig up the grass that is already in the area before I dump in soil? Does the soil need to be compacted any? What type of soil should I fill it with--just "clean fill dirt"?

I also have 3 4x8 raised beds that we are decommissioning. They are primarily filled with compost and top soil. Is it OK if I mix this into the top layer of the new lawn?

Thanks,
Paul
I'd build a deck -- probably easier and cheaper.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Well, until you dig the holes for the sonotube and hit the 2nd rock.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

you have to consider drainage so the new soil doesn't want to slide
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I think your plan is fine. You can leave the grass there but you will likely have to come back in a few months and "top off" the dirt. And you might want to line the inside of the PT beams with landscape fabric and extend it onto the grass a few feet to keep the new soil contained. There's no need to compact the new soil unless you are in a hurry. Rain and time will compact it. But if you just gotta get it done yesterday you will definitely want to compact it as you build it up.

I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't use the raised bed soil for this project.

John
Just a note of caution. Don't change the grade near any trees. Trees don't like a change in grade and it can easily cause the tree to die.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'll only add that you should plan on compacting after about every 3" of fill. Rain or a good wetting from a hose wil also help it settle. I'd plan on overfilling some, or planning to come back after a few months and adding more fill.
A foot is not much. Be tough to screw it up too much. Most of the slope will only have a few inches added. Pay attention around your retaining wall. Landscaping fabric and drainage would be good.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.