Basic tool bag
Hello all,

I'm about to move to North Carolina to a new ministry at Elon University. I'll be the Catholic Campus minster... but there is one problem.

As of right now there is no space for a workshop. I will take a few months or a year and locate a spot for me to set up a shop.

I'll be putting my shop into storage in Baltimore until I find a spot in North Carolina.

But I would like to take a basic bag of hand tools with me. If I were to find a spot to do some woodworking before I get my shop setup.

So what would you suggest?

chisels, planes, sharpening gear, saws, and what else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'd like to get a basic tool set together to take with me if I actually got the chance to do some woodworking... or getting to Pittsboro and take a class with St. Roy.

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
Put in there what you think you'll use first, then if there's room left over, put stuff in there you'll wish you had later.

Do you have an actual tool bag? Box?
Need one? I have a box you can have.
20" Craftsman steel tool box. Lockable.
Free.
Let me know.
mallet for chopping dovetails, marking items, a couple rasps, maybe an eggbeater or brace but this might depend on your potential projects.
Pat
From an old FWW article, check out what this guy put together.

Tyler Chartier's woodworking attaché
Hi Peter

What I would do is take an even smaller box of tools that you are thinking right now. These would essentially be combination tools, such as a LA Jack and block plane, such as the LV LA BP, which can be used as a smoother with the accessory handle, (and perhaps a couple of extra blades for each), a carcase saw (you can crosscut or dovetail) and a small panel saw for dimensioning. Chisels for smaller work. These are for any flat work that may come up.

I would decide now that any woodwork would concentrate on small stuff, such as boxes. This might be an opportunity to take up spoon carving. Whatever takes your fancy, gear up for that.

Incidentally, I meant to ask you before now, what happened to that bombe you were building? Did you finish it?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Woodworking tools, but no bench. I would bring a brace with a 3/4" bit and some Wonder Dogs. That way you can lay a 2 x 12 somewhere, drill some dogs holes, and you'll have an instant bench. I wouldn't try mortises on it, but it'll hold enough for other stuff.

What about some green woodworking tools (axe, adze, gouge, knives) so that you can make some bowls and spoons while sitting on a bench?

You keep moving south. I hope the new challenge is rewarding and fun.

Steve
Fr. Peter, what about a rolling toolbox, like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-3-in-.../203367137

They come in all sizes, you can pack a lot in them, and if you're "on the move" so to speak, they are east to move around.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Will you be close to Roy Underhill's school?

If so, you need to check it out.

Don't forget the tool store upstairs.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
A "basic" tool bag lets you do maintenance and repair to your dwelling and work place.

That said:
claw hammer
screw drivers
pliers
small level
small flexible putty knife
10" crescent wrench
slip joint pliers or 12" crescent wrench
electrical tape
blue painters tape
pencil
tape measure
small flashlight

If you do not carry one, then add a pocket knife or multi-tool or both.

Do NOT add chisels unless you are also adding clamps. Avoid that sort of temptation.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Don't ignore some means of work holding and don't take anything readily available/scroungable at your new place.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com