Where to sell, a follow up
A while ago I posted, asking for alternatives to Craigslist. I had posted some items, and was over run with scams. I was asking specifically about selling a pair if chairs made from wine/whiskey barrels. The consensus was a gallery or consignment shop. I have worked with a resale shop in the past and took the chairs there. They sold today. Yes, I paid a commission- but they got more exposure than I could ever create. No muss, no fuss. Pick up the check tomorrow. Life is good

Congratulations, now ya gotta make some more.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

Congratulations, now ya gotta make some more.

Mel

Nope! Even tho we have a ton of wineries here, barrels are hard to come by- and not cheap. Plus, those chairs are a pain to build. I will gladly build many more regular Adirondack chairs if I have time thank you

I listed a table on CL knowing it probably would not sell. I was right, it has sat there for a few months now.
But I am ignorant of this process.

How did you establish a relationship with the consignment shop? Take photos with you, or the chairs themselves?
Ag
I started with them when they first opened a long time ago. I talked to them, and then took a pair of chairs in. Regular Adirondack chairs. It grew from there. I have been too busy to build stuff that isn't already claimed so have gotten away from the store.

Edit: I ended up getting some custom work from the store. I did give them a photo album which helped a lot

TY!
What kind of percentage do they take?
I worked out a 70-30 split. They generally do a 50-50, but realize II could not do that. Other shops I have talked to are either 50-50 or 60-40. In your favor.

I can live with 30% commission, but have a hard time with anything higher

Good on you! Like everything else, so much of selling wood crafts is about building relationships.
TY!
If I remember correctly, our resident "historic reproduction" guru, Dave, got his start by putting a high boy up on CL. It took off from there.

Luck of the draw, maybe?
Semper fi,
Brad