Fabric over wood - adhesive
I'm working on a box which will have a fabric covered insert in the lid. The insert is 1/4" ply. To experiment, I tried using a spray adhesive to attach the fabric.
It adheres just fine but the fabric is porous enough that when I flatten it over the plywood, the adhesive works through and looks kind of rough.

Looking around online, it seems Mod-Podge may be solution. Anyone used it or something similar before?
I see various opinions on its drying or staying tacky and I'm wondering what kind of top coat I can put on it.
Did you let it dry before attaching?

Ive used that with velvet.....before letting it dry, I got those results. Try again and let it dry for 5 minutes or so....

Just a thought

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

If you are using spray contact cement/glue and it doesn't dry/tack up enough it certainly can wick through, If you let it dry/tackup sufficiently I think your problem will be solved. And will wick through more if the fabric is very thin. I think contact cement is what most would use. Let's see what other opinion show up. Ray
packerguy® said:

Did you let it dry before attaching?

I must confess that I don't remember. I tried this several months ago and then had to put the project aside.
Whenever I have used spray adhesive for other stuff I always let it tack up but I don't remember if I did it for this. So I should probably give it another go.
Id give it another go. Ive found that I like the Loctite brand better than the 3M stuff too, if it matters.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Different spray adhesives have different characteristics. In your case, I recommend Krylon - 7010. Bonds well and won't bleed thru on lightweight fabric. Spray a light coat on both surfaces, let it tack up and place it on the wooden insert. Use a veneer roller, or your wife's rolling pin to flatten out the fabric.
I'll see if I can find the Krylon. Looks like it is geared more towards paper, photos and fabrics.
It was one of the 3M sprays that I tried before.
Thanks.
When I was a picture framer a costly option was the fabric wrapped picture frame liner:

http://framemytv.com/images/generalsitei...llout.jpeg

We could either buy pre-wrapped liners and miter them to size; hand wrap the four individual pieces and assemble after wrapping.

Or (the best) we could assemble the liner into a frame and wrap the liner with one piece of fabric.

In both of the cases where I would do the wrapping I used 3M77 (now 3M 77 Super) adhesive. It was the industry standard for that application.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/42592...ochure.pdf

I recommend it. Work in a clean environment. If a piece of sawdust gets on the surface it will telegraph through the fabric.

As mentioned most of the work was done on linen and linen has a good bit of flex and can handle complex contours.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
How about just wrapping the fabric over the panel and sticking it down on the back with double-stick tape? Is it necessary to glue down the whole piece of fabric ?
Rick W
RickW said:

How about just wrapping the fabric over the panel and sticking it down on the back with double-stick tape? Is it necessary to glue down the whole piece of fabric ?
Rick W

You really do need to glue down all the surface. Or it will belly down over time. And double faced tape will telegraph through the fabric.

If it is just the lid, a piece of fabric covered mat board cut accurately to size is a quick way to do this. They use real silk and real linen for those boards, you have to scroll down quite a bit to find the fabric boards. You can probably order this through Michaels or any custom picture framer: http://nielsenbainbridgegroup.com/sites/...2014_0.pdf

Blick carries Crescent Board, but I don't know that they operate under that name anymore: http://www.dickblick.com/products/cresce...-matboard/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.