Eggbeater driver set
Most eggbeater drill bits are either MIA or in poor condition. And I have never found eggbeater driver bits. Today was my chance to fix that. It all started about 10am and current weather conditions dictated quick actions.

My friends at Harbor Freight offered me a free prize just for visiting and making a purchase. I bit. Here is my prize with the Goodell Pratt eggbeater.

And here is another essential handtool, although a hacksaw would also work.

Of course, the cut off edges are a little sharp and need to be dressed down. Filing would work but a grinder is faster. It is faster still when you chuck the Phillips bits backward in a hand drill and run the drill in reverse against the spinning grinder wheel.

The happy family.

Fits great.

I doubt the eggbeater would be helpful in high torque situations, but it should be outstanding for taking up the slack in bolts. A bonus is that they all fit in the handle. Double bonus is that I still have a pair of stubbies that I can gift to some ww buddy.

So I was able to finish this morning's project in about 15 minutes. Time to go inside and hydrate.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
You need a Robertson.
Neat, but you said it, not enough torque. They make those bits for braces. Works really well with a brace.

John.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Nice project, and nice looking MF No. 2 as well. For driving screws, I've found my Yankee drill to be really nice, especially for slotted screws. It inherently keeps the shaft aligned. I have problems keeping the bit in the slot with braces and even cordless battery-powered drills. I had to remove electrical outlet plates on several walls for painting, and I found the Yankee saved a heck of a lot of time. Not a high torque application.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Nice!

In my 20's (a long time ago) I sheet-rocked entire rooms, driving all of the screws with a No. 2 Phillips bit chucked into an eggbeater. It worked! Sometimes when it required too much torque I'd finish it with a driver in my brace as John suggested. But it wasn't too often.

The crank handle on my eggbeater is a little wobbly now... But so am I, so no problem!

David
Jim I love it, great idea !

Steve
Very nice! The hex-shank Philips bits work great in eggbeater drills, but it's a lot harder to find a good flathead bit.

I've used driver bits in my eggbeaters for years. Yes, it's a low-torque, high-speed situations, but I can seat a wood screw most of the way in softer wood. Then I tighten them the last turn with a screwdrivers. It sure saves the wrists, and you'll never strip a screw head or break a screw off.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Great little project! I always enjoy reading your posts, you really know how to sell it...
Benny

Excellent