would you buy a Delta machine?
As everyone knows, PC/Black and Decker sold the Delta brand to a chinese company a few years ago. They made the decision not to support legacy products. That's a different discussion but it poses the question about their commitment to customer service going forward. They have an oscillating edge sander that appears to be identical to the Laguna and Jet models. HD has it on sale but before I pull the trigger, has anyone else had any CS issues with the new Delta?
Howard
The Dallas woodworker

"I didn't attend the funeral but I did send a letter approving of it"
Mark Twain
To answer the initial, titular question:

Yes, if it's an older, American-made piece. I own two delta tools, a mid-90's 14" band saw and a 1941 17" drill press.

Then again, until I get a bigger shop, I won't be buying anything new; I have all the stuff I need.

But I'd likely stick to older stuff, except maybe a SawStop.
Semper fi,
Brad

howardh said:

As everyone knows, PC/Black and Decker sold the Delta brand to a chinese company a few years ago. They made the decision not to support legacy products. That's a different discussion but it poses the question about their commitment to customer service going forward. They have an oscillating edge sander that appears to be identical to the Laguna and Jet models. HD has it on sale but before I pull the trigger, has anyone else had any CS issues with the new Delta?

My 2004 Unisaw is in pieces in my garage. all this because I cannot purchase a replacement elevation rack -- which for the price, in my opinion, should not have worn itself out in the first place. This is after I had to get my arbor threads remade by a machinist, since Delta refused to stock replacements. When I get around to it, I'll sell off what I can. If I'm lucky, I'll recoup enough to buy a ticket to a hockey game.

I would not hesitate to pick up vintage Delta equipment. But no. I will never buy Delta again.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Given the lack of replacement parts for older units, there is likely a culture at the new owner to EOL (end of life) classify product more aggressively and discontinue parts support, and that to me is the kiss of death. So unless one is predisposed to throw away the tool when it breaks, I'd consider other alternatives.

Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, General come to mind; not too sure about others, remember Steel City, did well for a while but then went belly up, and who knows how long parts will be available.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I see lots of negative statements being made about the Delta line of late but nary a single positive one. That's enough for me not to even consider Delta when buying.
Lil

No I wouldn't touch delta anymore with a 10'. I used to be a big delta guy and own plenty of their tools currently. But given the ownership changes, lack of parts availability and service and I'm out. Throw in the fact that for some reason they still seem to sell at somewhat of a premium despite the debased name and I'm really out.
-Marc

Admiral said:

Given the lack of replacement parts for older units, there is likely a culture at the new owner to EOL (end of life) classify product more aggressively and discontinue parts support, and that to me is the kiss of death. So unless one is predisposed to throw away the tool when it breaks, I'd consider other alternatives.

Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, General come to mind; not too sure about others, remember Steel City, did well for a while but then went belly up, and who knows how long parts will be available.

Admiral

They are the same as Grizzly tools just different colors and not a granite top.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Delta is on its seccond Chinese owner so far.

I would only buy a delta branded machine if it was the same machine as from other companies (to ensure parts replacement) and only if it was the same price or less than the competitor. I would not may more just because it says delta. Same goes for anything I purchase. I don't see whoever owns delta making their own big machines any time soon.

As for the warranty side. I don't expect any company to uphold their end of a warranty because they rarely do so I'm not disappointed when they don't.

In the case of that edge sander. If it's like the drum sander they have that just has their name on it, if it were a good deal I would buy it.
If I find an older machine for sale, I'll buy it and rebuild it, unless it was a cheapy in it's own day.
The machining was much better.
Never will trust them again.