would you buy a Delta machine?
karoc said:

If I was in the market for a machine,Delta or PM would be on my shopping list only.But it would have to be US made and maybe at lease 15-20yrs old I guess.Fireslayer I don't think you have anything to worry about.I bet that shaper will work very well through yours and next owners lifetime without any issues.Now Griz that's another story,seems they discontinue their models maybe every 5-10yrs(guessing) which means parts prices go from what I would consider normal up to OMG!So the more products Griz put out there at what all consider a bargin,will drive up the stock value of their parts inventory.But to be fair if I was in the market for a saw I would look at Griz and not the Saw Stop
Sad why not the SS well cause I just can't afford itDon't know if the SS is made here or where.Parts for the Delta,PM's you can find most on the auction site.
Really guys how did this get started,being made oversea's and why?Our government wanting help other countrys or theirselves,Walmart,HD and Lowes wanting to be the one stop shop?

Our manufacturing jobs left decades ago. They left because people have an appetite for inexpensive products. Market forces along with bad trade deals led us to where we are today. Just for example: Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold in China (where they seem to be catching on - who would have guessed!) have their price tripled by import fees! Meanwhile, Chinese imports flow into this country unabated. Its a one way street! We did this to ourselves with our appetites for inexpensive throwaway products and bad trade deals along with chasing lots of companies overseas with the highest corporate tax rate in the world.

BTW, Sawstop is made in China where virtually all major power tools are made.
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!
The US was, as Stanley's motto noted, "The Toolbox of the World" for a long, long time. And this was before the war, and after the war, we had the only industrial base still standing. The US started "globalization" after WWI to the chagrin of the U.K. and Western Europe. We were what China is now. We used immigrants as the cheap labor, my grandfather and likely your relatives as well. Blaming this on trade deals is a simplistic punchline, which certain politicians are using to obscure more fundamental tectonic shifts in the global economy. Too many are drinking that Koolaide. What we have to do is do what we do best - innovate, and then use tax laws to disincentivise our corporations from investing in China anymore, and leave them to themselves. China only imitates and steals others IP, not so good at idea creation.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I wouldn't even bother. I bought some open end wrenches from Harbor Freight for my Grizzly.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
+1 on Admiral's comments.
Like to add a few myself: Did a stint as a corporate executive about 20 yrs ago when jobs were being sent overseas or outsourced. Two reasons for this that aren't necessarily linked to globalization:
1. The MBAs running the company were taught in school that outsourcing was the right way to run a business. That there was little data to support this didn't seem to bother the professors or their students (who went on to run manufacturing corporations).
2. Looking good on the stock market; short term gains to boost stock prices. Best way to do that was reduce head count. The fact that it eventually costs a lot more didn't matter, these execs were gone with their golden parachutes.

While I'm not a fan of Chinese business practices (which have been well documented here and elsewhere), it's important to realize that management of too many large American companies were staffed by greedy, inexperienced, and morally deficient business school graduates.
With Delta I would assume there will be no repair parts available, even for current machines, and that the entire company could go out of business at any time. So it might be a good deal if the machine is truly identical to the other brands' machines and you could buy parts from them. Otherwise, I would never consider a new machine from Delta. I would consider some of their older machines that were sold for many decades because I know used parts would be available.
Delta was doomed after the sbd buyout and move to the eastern seaboard. Everything was lost/destroyed (drawings, documentation, etc.). What parts were left were gone, the parts liquidation had started years before, this finished it. So much was lost, they had no idea who made anything for them. Delta couldn't order a replacment parts for anything other than the new Unisaw. The Asian buyout put the last nails in the coffin, game over.

Live with it.

Ed
Quote:

I imagine there will be a plentiful supply of USA made machines for many many years on the used market. Well made tools don't wear out or break very easily.

I wonder if this is why Delta basically made the decision to stop producing new machinery? Unless the company was willing & able to go after new (foreign) markets, did they see too little demand for new machinery to continue producing it? U.S. labor and other costs too high to be able to compete in other markets? Of course the other factors mentioned - short term thinking, government policy - enter into it as well

Got this one at very little cost. it was a World War II time vintage Delta. I have found restoring a bandsaw is a great way to learn to tune a bandsaw. This saw is incredible. All the cast iron parts (belt guard included) are very heavy and the weight adds to the performance of the saw. Parts are easy to find on eBay or brand new if needed. As far as bandsaws go I would never go with anything else. My shop is full of Delta vintage equipment...im a fanboy.

JB

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Agree. My 14" is 80's vintage, USA made, and runs well. Lots of em out there, just have to be patient.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
thooks said:

LIL....

Holy Cow. I didn't know of these troubles with Delta parts. I have a 2004 Unisaw and I have not had it in use for several years. I think I have misplaced the arbor wrenches but I should be able to get replacements from Grizzly, no?

I broke a arbor wrench on my Delta tablesaw. Thankfully, I found a rigid wrench on ebay that had the same size nut .. The open ended wrench for holding the arbor still worked "good enough" too.. only off by a hair too big.

Measure your saw and search ebay,I am sure you will find something usable.