Kids and Tools and Building Stuff
Interesting TED talks, I heard part of this on a podcast and it resonated with me as when I was a child I was a tinkerer. The second one did too, as I loved playing with fire!

http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulley_s_..._in_action

http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulley_on...s_for_kids
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've seen the second one before--dangerous things you should let your kids do--and I really enjoyed it. I think my parents did everything except let us drive, but then we had riding lawnmowers and such to keep us happy. I'm still an inveterate pocketknife carrier. The kids get their own pocketknives when they turn ten.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I got my first pocket knife at age 6. It was attached to a leather thong, I promptly lost it. I got another for my 7th birthday and was able to keep that one for quite a while.

Except for being on a commercial airplane I've never spent a day without a pocket knife either in my pocket or clipped to the top of it (I'm partial to Spydercos).
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I need to watch the rest of TED. I will bet all five were familiar to me....

I have my first "kept" somewhere. A used Barlow from Dad. I know I had it before 1st grade, because I made kites with it using newsprint, and flew them in the school yard after kindergarten. It was put away after losing the big blade, and all of the plastic scales; probably 20 years later.

I have just taken up carrying a pocket knife in the last few years; not religiously.
I do not know how anyone gets through the day without a pocketknife. Even a tiny knife reduces frustration, in addition to saving time, teeth, and fingernails.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I stropped carrying a picket knife in favor of a fixed blade utility knife. Better for prying..
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

JimReed@Tallahassee said:

I do not know how anyone gets through the day without a pocketknife. Even a tiny knife reduces frustration, in addition to saving time, teeth, and fingernails.

My FIL had one of those keychain knives, but they fell apart with my use. I can carry one based on activity, but anything more than necessary bandana (snot rag) and keys is uncomfortable. My teeth still work pretty good, and are more convenient. One adapts. I open shipped boxes in the kitchen, near knives. The utility drawer is there also, with screwdrivers for staples.
Would not be without my "fish and worm knife" (2" Case lockback) - use it for everything. People really think I use it for that, so they are hesitant to borrow it. But in emergencies everyone knows it's available.