Oliver pattern makers vice - restored - mostly.
Well, it looks better than it started, but not finished yet.

Sins: one of the two tilt knobs (the small one) is a replacement. I had to use channel locks to remove it and boogered up the knurling. My machinist friend will fix that after the holidays. The threads were too large. We re-cut them and it works fine now.

The two front pop-up dogs are broken off. Some day, I'll machine some new ones. The rears are fine.

I don't have the tilt jaw.

And, lastly, I need to make a new mount. If the guy I bought it from ever finds the original, that would be swell, but I'll plan on fabbing a new one. Need to figure out how best to make the knuckles. The rest of the bracket is easy. Anyway, pics below.

Oddity, The two clamping levers and associated threaded parts are double lead threaded. Darned near ruined one trying the chase the threads with my die. Had to result to a file. The two tilt screws are common 1/2-13. The lead screw is also double-lead threaded.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Mike, nice work. Keep it up.
Good job. Its almost time to put it to work.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Very nice restoration, Mike. I missed a complete Emmert on Craigslist by about 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago and have been kicking myself. Please post photos of your Oliver when you're done and have it installed on your bench. It looks like it's going to be a beauty - already is.

Your comment about double lead threads hit home. I downsized my lathe recently and bought an older Myford ML8 (English manufacture). It was missing the clamping post for the outboard tool rest. I thought no big deal, I'll just have my local machine shop whip one up for me. The machinist put in his loupe, checked out the threads on a companion piece and gave me a funny look. "This is a triple lead thread," he said. "We can do it, but you don't want to pay for the set-up." He was right, it was prohibitively expensive, by a lot. I got him to make a single lead replacement, but it doesn't work very well. The triple lead clamps securely in about a half turn. The single lead requres over a full turn to release and re-clamp, which, in turn requires removing and repositioning the clamp handle - a real pain. I've been looking for an original replacement triple lead part on eBay, but, so far, no luck.
Per my posts in the previous rust hunting thread, I can't put this to use until I move to Tennessee. I have no place to put it in my garage.

My plan is to build a crate for this and also a nice standard bench vise and let it sit for about two years.

I'll wait a while before I tackle the bench mount. I'm hoping the seller finds the original mount. I should know in a month or so.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(07-02-2016, 10:33 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Per my posts in the previous rust hunting thread, I can't put this to use until I move to Tennessee.  I have no place to put it in my garage.  

My plan is to build a crate for this and also a nice standard bench vise and let it sit for about two years.  

I'll wait a while before I tackle the bench mount.  I'm hoping the seller finds the original mount.  I should know in a month or so.

Hi Mike,
I'm new to this forum. I have the same vise as you have but missing the sliding flat bar that mount underneath the bench.  Can you help me with some dimensions? thanks in advance
I used to have some spare parts for a Yost vice. I used parts from it to complete the Yost vice on my bench. I did send some of the parts out to another woodnet member, but I am wondering if the mounting bracket for a yost would have fit. Sorry that I no longer have those parts. Yost worked for Emmert before breaking off and making his own vice of similar design. Don't know the history of the Oliver, but it looks very close to an Emmert so I wonder how interchangeable are the parts between the three?
(07-02-2016, 08:42 AM) Wrote: ... Your comment about double lead threads hit home. I downsized my lathe recently and bought an older Myford ML8 (English manufacture). It was missing the clamping post for the outboard tool rest. I thought no big deal, I'll just have my local machine shop whip one up for me. The machinist put in his loupe, checked out the threads on a companion piece and gave me a funny look. "This is a triple lead thread," he said. "We can do it, but you don't want to pay for the set-up." He was right, it was prohibitively expensive, by a lot. I got him to make a single lead replacement, but it doesn't work very well. The triple lead clamps securely in about a half turn. The single lead requres over a full turn to release and re-clamp, which, in turn requires removing and repositioning the clamp handle - a real pain. I've been looking for an original replacement triple lead part on eBay, but, so far, no luck.

Not to hijack Mr. Mike's post, but I had exactly the same experience with the clamping post on an ML8. I bought a nice ML8 that was complete and well cared for, except the outboard tool rest clamping post was missing. I thought, "No problem. I'll just have one made. Should be a piece of cake." Wrong! You and I must use the same machinist. He had the same reaction and told me the same thing - "Prohibitively expensive." He made a single lead one that didn't work well. I found a replacement on English eBay for a LOT less than it cost to make a new one, including shipping.
That's sure a nice looking vise Mike. Great job of restoring it.