SawStop Sawsuit
I am pretty sure the fact that it was announced recently means they decided to agree to with the lower court. I think it would have been announced at a different time if they had decided not to hear it at all. This just means that Sawstop hasn't lost, doesn't mean they will win
TGW said:

Fortunately I am on the safe side of the Atlantic. Far away from that jerk and his saws.

Sounds like the perfect and precise place for you - stay put. We'll stay over here where innovation has led the world.

Doug
Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]Tapper said:

[blockquote]Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]meackerman said:

As far as cabinet and contractor saws go, does it matter anymore? Sawstop seems to have won the market over.

Not really.

[/blockquote]

Uh, what planet did you just drop in from?

Doug

[/blockquote]

They are popular but still not to the extent of other suppliers. Going to take allot to even get close to grizzly sales numbers.

[/blockquote]

Robert,

You make an excellent point about Grizzly. Search as I might I can't find annual sales numbers for cabinet saws. Empherical evidence from Woodcraft sales people indicate that they sell many more Sawstop models that all the others combined. Whether that's true or not, I cannot confirm.

What I do know is that this technology has been a game-changer in this product line. If you take a look at the price of all the top-line saws, i.e. Powermatic, Delta, Jet, etc. and the current SS models, prices are very close, i.e. there is little financial reason to not buy a SS saw. Hatred is a strong motivator. I'm convinced that there are people on this forum who would never buy SS, no matter what the cost.

I remember several years ago a member here posted a sad story. He was teaching his very young son to operate his table saw. In the blink of an eye the little guy ran his hand into the blade and caused serious injury (as I recall he did not elaborate). I'm certain at that moment he would have loved to have had a SS, no matter who invented it or how much it cost. I know I would have.

Doug
Tapper said:

What I do know is that this technology has been a game-changer in this product line. If you take a look at the price of all the top-line saws, i.e. Powermatic, Delta, Jet, etc. and the current SS models, prices are very close, i.e. there is little financial reason to not buy a SS saw. Hatred is a strong motivator. I'm convinced that there are people on this forum who would never buy SS, no matter what the cost.

I remember several years ago a member here posted a sad story. He was teaching his very young son to operate his table saw. In the blink of an eye the little guy ran his hand into the blade and caused serious injury (as I recall he did not elaborate). I'm certain at that moment he would have loved to have had a SS, no matter who invented it or how much it cost. I know I would have.

Doug

+1
For example, I believe there are a few very experienced woodworker members of this forum who have avoided serious injury due to having a SS.

As a SS owner, I do not find the arguments against purchasing a SS -- provided one is going to purchase a table saw -- very convincing.
Thanks Bill - BTW, are there any members here who have a Sawstop and have been the beneficiary of the safety technology? I have a SS PCS but have yet to trigger the mechanism, fortunately.

Doug
I don't think you can use woodcraft as a barometer to determine which table saws are the most popular. They're small percentage of table saw market. I would think grizzly has a much bigger market share. Maybe even ryobi.
Haha, that's pretty funny. Have you paid any attention to where all the high end modern tools are coming from? Ruthlessly driving innovation and competition into the ground through legal fees is the very opposite of that.
mad_planter said:

Haha, that's pretty funny. Have you paid any attention to where all the high end modern tools are coming from? Ruthlessly driving innovation and competition into the ground through legal fees is the very opposite of that.

Well "mad", aren't you the clever one. Somehow I must've missed the fact that the SS safety technology was developed offshore, rather than by a U.S. PhD physicist who happens to be an attorney to boot??? FWIW the United States has always been the world leader in innovation, that's why people have beaten a path to our door over the last 100+ years.

No, we haven't invented everything significant in the world, but certainly have done our fair share and more. That's what freedom does for a country, fleeting as it seems these days. If you find this, in addition to being factual, humorous, so be it.

Doug
meackerman said:

As far as cabinet and contractor saws go, does it matter anymore? Sawstop seems to have won the market over.

Hmm, did not think anybody was buying Sawstop products. Maybe it's a local thing? Not even sure where to buy one around here, other than Rockler. Dealers are still carrying the major brands.
Have you traveled much outside of the U.S.? Ever been to Europe? I used to think similarly to you until I traveled abroad. We have a very short history of inventing stuff and very short memories.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe