Drywall for dummies
Question from a drywall hack. I have a small storage area underneath a staircase. Code says it needs to be covered in fire-resistant drywall. How does one do that with the wedges sticking out of the sides, and the ... what is are those triangular blocks behind the risers? Do you just cut around them?

Kind of a dumb question, but this is fire code, so I want to be sure. Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
you nail it to the stringers making it one long flat panel
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob10 said:

you screw it to the stringers making it one long flat panel

Fixt
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

oh yeah if in a garage make sure you don't have to double it up to meet code
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

LIL thanks! That makes way too much sense.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
if you need a place to wire a light to see under the stairs the dry wall gives you a good way to get it done

Phil Thien

I don't think a light in a closet is allowed by code. Fire hazard if something gets against the bulb.

Twinn
Will post for food.
I don't want to argue but I have several closets with light fixtures. Many of them built and inspected after 1989. Hell the closet in my master goes on when I open the door like a Buick

Phil Thien

Here in Central Maryland the code demands a recessed fixture or LED lighting in a closet....

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
blackhat said:

[blockquote]Bob10 said:

you screw it to the stringers making it one long flat panel

Fixt

[/blockquote]
Don't you need to add framing/nailers to avoid saggy drywall? (And provide a location for mounting a light fixture?)

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.