Re-handling a Oval Bolstered Mortise Chisel
I recently picked a few mortise chisels at a local garage sale, and the handles on 3 of the chisels are finished. The are split down the middle, and looks like someone really used a heavy hammer when whacking these bad boys. The chisels are a tang style that fits into the handle. I have a decent amount of Hard Maple left over from cutting boards I made last year, and was wondering if this wood would suffice for the new handles I need to make? I also have a nice piece of Purple Heart. The chisels I'm re-handling are 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". Thanks

Scott
There is a Woodwright episode of on the turning of oval mortise chisel handles. Should be available online.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2178721052/

(edit to fix stupid spillchucker text replacement...)
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I would go maple over purpleheart just because I think the balance will be better with the lighter wood. Also I think the maple with compress a little more and not crack. However with both woods you don't get the compression you get with beech and you might need some epoxy. If you have questions on the procedure search my blog - I have instructions for rehandling.
Joel
Tools for working Wood
I don't have a lathe, so I will be shaping them by hand
Great video, and Roy didn't cut himself either!!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks Joel. I will go into your blog.
In addition to Joel's blog, you will find a pictorial on my website, here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestora...e%20Chisel.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Smoothjazz077 said:

I don't have a lathe, so I will be shaping them by hand

The layout portion may still be of some use when determining the shape at the bolster and the size of the ovals.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Hard maple should wear very well. Have fun shaping it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop