Plane decison
With my birthday coming up I decided to buy myself something nice. (self-centered I know) My choice is down to the BU Jack Plane from LV or the BU Jack Rabbet plane from LV. My question, would the more expensive Rabbet plane be worth the extra $50 and is there any thing the regular Jack plane would do the Rabbet plane would do much worse or not at all. BTW, I'm not new to planes but I am a part time novice. Life is full of tough decisions, help me spend my money folks. TIA
The older I get the faster I was.
The BU Jack Rabbet plane is an amazing plane. It genuinely can be used in almost any reasonably conceivable situation. It is the true Swiss Army Knife. However, I prefer having dedicated planes, and separates are the way for me. If you want the best combination bench plane, then consider the Jack Rabbet.

I wrote a comprehensive review with illustrations here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...Plane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
If you don't consistently have the need for the rabbet function, I'd go with the regular Jack. But then again, I've rarely had the need for a rabbeting bench plane that I couldn't work around. Depends on the work you do. I don't have the rabbet, but the Jack is a great plane and I would expect the same of the rabbet..
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If you plan on shooting with your plane, I'd opt for the LAJ. The Jack Rabbet by its nature would continuously take shavings off your shooting board.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If you already have a good jack plane, why not go for the jack rabbet? There have been plenty of times that I've wanted a good-sized rabbet/shoulder plane, mostly for truing up tenons and the like. It's not on my short-list, but definitely one the "nice-to-have" list.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
AHill said:

If you plan on shooting with your plane, I'd opt for the LAJ. The Jack Rabbet by its nature would continuously take shavings off your shooting board.

Oh I don't know about that, Allan .... it seems to me to do a perfectly good job!

(A little tongue-in-cheek ... see my review for details. Still, it really can shoot well).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Admiral said:

If you don't consistently have the need for the rabbet function, I'd go with the regular Jack. But then again, I've rarely had the need for a rabbeting bench plane that I couldn't work around. Depends on the work you do. I don't have the rabbet, but the Jack is a great plane and I would like expect the same of the rabbet..

The LA Jack cannot do this ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
I don't own one yet but if you all ready have a Jack I would go for the LA Rabbit plane. Just my $.02 !

Steve
No, it can't, but like I said, nothing I can't work around, as with using the skew rabbet, which is a bit more useful for me in my work than would be a jack rabbet:

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The only negative I can see to the Jack Rabbit is that it must handled with extra care to avoid leaving red stains in the wood. Maybe I extrapolate too much from the Skew Rabbit. Every time I handle that puppy, I cut myself.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard