Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
Gentlemen, my luck has run out with chi/Taiwanese machinery. I finally got a bad machine and now I have to send it back. This whole Jointer experience has been a nightmare, with the jointer bed arriving 11 days after I received the base. I will later post the problems I've had with this jointer but I would just say if you plan to buy this machine you may want to wait.

Right now I need some advice on building a new skid to send this thing back. I threw away the package for the base and the package for the Jointer itself got all tore up when I tried to remove it. I had to end up hiring two guys to pick the thing up to put it on the base. So I got permission from grizzly to send the thing back with the jointer on the base.. That's the way they used to ship them as I owned this Jointer once before.

So I could use some advice on how to go about building the skid. I'm going to need room underneath the tables to put the fence, fence components, and switch assembly. It would be nice if I could get one of those banders to cinch the whole thing up. I don't see any bolt holes inside the base to lag or bolt the thing to the skid. Perhaps I can use the wheel holes to make something.

So now I got to spend my own money to build this skid. Not to mention all the time I wasted trying to get it to work. Has anybody ever had to do something like this before?
I have built a few shipping crates for jointers and shapers. Personally I would take the two back apart but it can be done as one unit....

First thing I would do is go find a couple of pallets , and take them apart for the wood....

Build the base at least as wide as the jointer and the fence system and longer than the tables. The area behind the tables is your packing area for switches and mounts etc...... if you can put them in a box with peanuts and set it on the pallet and secure it to the pallet(shrink wrap is good if you have room) a wood frame up and over the box works as well

somehow you have to get the jointer on the pallet and if it were me it would be with the tables down on the pallet (Take off the guard and the rabbet extension) lay 1/2" foam board on top of plastic sheeting first to prevent moisture issues and support the tables. once you have this done set the jointer on the pallet and wrap 2x stock around the jointer then add in the fence and accessories on top of the jointer tables, and secure with shrink wrap/foam board.

After you have this completed build up the sides with OSB and 2x2's in the corners making it about 1/2" taller than the upside down jointer base in place fill the sides ( not the ends) with more foam board and fill in the top perimeter with 2x2 again using screws to attach them... The top of the upside down jointer is then is filled with more foam board and lastly screw an OSB top on.
you may have to fill in the base around the motor depending on how it is mounted as well.. If you can find someone with strapping tools great, if not maybe you can sweet talk a shipper into it maybe...... some have the ability some do not...
maybe even a lumber yard will do it for a small fee if you can get it to them

JME

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

What are the chances of having them ship you a skid? Even if it's designed for shipping in two pieces, it would likely be easier than building one for the single unit.
Semper fi,
Brad

No chance of them shipping me anything. They said they will pay for the freight but it's my job to package it up. They noted that the instructions say to save all packing material which it does. I really don't like the two-part Jointer deal. This is the first time I've ever seen it and I hope I can find one that comes put together.

I've ordered two previous joiners that came to me sitting straight up,bolted to the skid. The only thing that was necessary was to put the fence on. One was an 8 inch from grizzly and one was a 16 inch Bridgewood. I have no help so it's going to be impossible for me to turn the Jointer over or remove it from the base. I'm going to have to make do with an upright design. You know that 16 inch joiner I had rode fine on the skid. I left it on the skid for over year because I wasn't sure where I wanted it. I just moved it around with the pallet jack.
Im afraid your going to find out WHY its shipped in 2 sections now.....one of the things I recall you questioning when you ordered.

Its too bad it didnt work out for you, but I don't understand this

Quote:

So now I got to spend my own money to build this skid. Not to mention all the time I wasted trying to get it to work.

You bought an industrial machine, threw away the skids and are upset because you had to pay for help lifting it and now need to make skids to send it back?

I don't understand.

I mean what was wrong, was it damaged, or could you just not figure something out? The only way I would send back a machine is if it was inoperable. When I bought things that had issues, I got things corrected and was happy without sending things back.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

If you can borrow or rent an engine hoist, your back will thank you. I'm always doing this kind of stuff by myself, and bought one just for those instances. You would also need a couple of nylon load slings. Too bad about the mess you have, at least they are taking it back. BTW, my 8" jet came in 2 pieces, the base was separate from the tables/cutterhead.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Quote:

I really don't like the two-part Jointer deal. This is the first time I've ever seen it and I hope I can find one that comes put together.

Every jointer I have seen shipped since 1995 has been in two parts.

There is a reason for this and that is why I encouraged you to ship it back upside down.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

Every jointer I have seen shipped since 1995 has been in two parts.

There is a reason for this and that is why I encouraged you to ship it back upside down.

FWIW, my jointer purchased new in 2005 was shipped assembled. It was a Powermatic 8". Ironically, I had to disassemble the upper and lower halves (thanks John's Woodshop!!!) anyway in able to manage getting it down into my basement shop.

If you look at the grizzly catalog you'll see that the higher-end 8 inch and everything larger than that all ships one piece. The only thing that used to ship twobpiece was the six-inch. Now they've raised it up to some of the 8 inches. The only reason is to save a few pennies. You have two smaller boxes rather than one big box. I mean I would rather work wood than spend all day putting some machine together.

Packer, what can I say. You just must be a lot smarter than me because I couldn't get this machine to work. It was grizzly who suggested that I send it back. They gave up on it, not me. Like I said earlier, I'll post the problems I had with the machine later.

I saved the skid from the second part. But all the styrophome got broken apart with me trying to get the unit up on the base by myself. A fruitless task. I don't like to ask for help unless I absolutely need it. I've managed to always get everything put together and this is the first time I've had to send anything like this back.. Believe me I don't want to. I got so many things I need to build and now I have no jointer. And I will not be buying another grizzly 8 inch joiner that's for sure.
Im sure it has nothing to do with being smarter or not.

But it sounds like you just cant get the machine assembled.

You live in Charlotte. There are a bunch of members here that live in that area. I am sure one would be willing to help...all you need to do is ask.

What do you expect grizz to do? Of course they said send it back (assuming you weren't happy). They wont send a person out to assemble the machine for you. So pushing the blame on them for the sending back issue seems silly. What are they to do?

Like I said, ask for the help...

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)