Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
I would call them up and ask if they care if it's shipped in pieces. They probably are going to sell it in the tent sale anyway, they'll get more if it's in pieces. Hopefully it was paid for with a credit card, that leaves more options for leverage if that's what's needed.
EricU said:

Hopefully it was paid for with a credit card, that leaves more options for leverage if that's what's needed.

This is the obvious leverage in resolution of this type matter with any seller. I you think your "problem" isn't being "fixed" you can always get your money back through credit card resolution. That leaves getting the broken pieces back to Griz as their problem. They don't send people out to do it from Griz, but they sure do send someone from the shipping company with a pallet, and darned if they don't make themselves a little shipping pile right there and then. I know I'm an A-hat, but it get's stuck in my craw when "they" send me useless junk, and then say it's my responsibility to return it to them. Most of the packing that companies use to crate bigger stuff, isn't worth spit, and to get the product out of the crate, you usually have to destroy the packing. Again this isn't my problem, the packing was designed by them.

"they" could be any company, with me it has most often been Amazon. Just make sure to help the shipping guy load the pallet, he'll have a pallet jack, and a lift truck, but getting stuff on the pallet may be hard work. He's helping you finalize the problem, and getting your shop that space back. Help him with the lifting.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Probably the best idea yet. They shipped you a problem call the CC and hand it back to them. Also seems even if you get the CC to recall your cash you are out the money you paid to have the machine assembled. Your having to work to get your money back is low not standing behind a product apologetically when they know of the problem is even lower
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I suppose I could rig a pulley system. But then I got to go buy a chain hoist or something to pick it up. I think I can get it up on the pallet. This Jointer comes with a built-in mobile base. I went and bought this long metal prybar 6 feet long when I got the planer that makes it easy to Jack things up

Main thing is to secure the Jointer to the pallet. It needs to be bolted or lagged into the pallet. It can't move.. The good thing is I don't have to worry about the weight. So I can build it strong. I'm fortunate that I live in a neighborhood that is building new houses. So there's plenty of leftover OSB sitting in the dumpsters in front of the homes. Also scrap two by four. So I may not have to spend much money as I initially thought. I should be able to get all the material free except for the bottom layer of three-quarter inch ply which I already have ..

I'm trying to look at this in a positive way. I plan on spending more money and getting a better machine now. This thing was a piece of Chinese junk. My planer was Chinese too but it turned out OK. I will try to get a Taiwanese jointer if possible. I've had the same credit card company since 1994 so I'm sure they will side with me in this matter. Always use a credit card on something like this..
I don't think Griz is going to give you a hard time on the refund, they said to send it back; your cost is the aggravation involved here. As far as the "crate" I'd just go get a used pallet or two, lay the machine on it's side in pieces and tie the parts down with rope or a strap, then use the scrap 2x to "frame" the piece on the pallet so it doesn't shift around on the pallet and OSB to make a side and top for it; at that point its the shipper's problem. Take pics of the process. It don't need to be pretty. The crating I got from Griz when they delivered my bandsaw was pretty floppy and not stout at all.

While I understand your feelings and need to buy a different brand of machine, I sincerely hope Griz resolves their supply chain issue, I'd hate to see their quality head south, as I've always been happy with my purchases from them over the years.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
packerguy® said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

If I said what I feel is true I would just come off as the curmudgeon most seem to think I am

You have a crate to build

Joe

Me too.

Sounds like a lost cause. Grizz must be in the business of sending tools that are junk and dont work. Thousands of them, daily cause I am sure they have shipped tens of thousands of these jointers.....

I just dont get it.

[/blockquote]

All the new machines that end in W are from a new supplier in China. A jointer is pretty simple and they got that wrong, I wonder how the planers are which have more complicated parts. I hope Grizzly's quest to reduce cost works out for them.

Maybe it's time for that discussion about how they're all the same just different paint.
Many interesting posts on this topic.

I don't have anything to say about Grizzly and where they source things but I have owned a Chevy Vega, a Plymouth Neon, and just got some 3M sandpaper made in Canada. Let's see: Vega - bad cylinder walls after 45K miles. Neon, head gasket 46K miles. Sandpaper is smooth after 5-6 swipes.

I would appreciate any suggestions on a country that only makes great things? Every day. All the time....Tom
What was disappointing is that the tech guys I was talking to were in a call center in Pennsylvania. I asked them to go out and take a look at the machine in the warehouse thinking that's where they were. They said we don't have any machines. There was no way for them to look at the problem in the flesh so to speak.

With the new supplier their quality control should open up a crate and put one of the machines together and make sure it runs well before they start shipping them to customers. That's why I used to use Wilke because they did an excellent job with quality control. That said, I've never had a problem with the grizzly tool.

I'm afraid I can't just throw this Jointer on a pallet and ship it back. I always overbuild things so I imagine I will spend the whole day building this crate. It's crazy, I used 4 stainless steel 4 1/2 inch lag bolts to secure the Joyner to the bed this morning because that's all I had. And in a week it's probably going to be all in the trash. I have a ton of stainless steel screws, bolts and threaded rod left over from my days in South Florida living on the salt water. I'm also going to get to use some of those long 2 1/2 inch pocket screws that I never use to build this Frame..I had a huge pallet of dust pipe/ fittings come in and that needs to be hung. I hate working above my head so I get to delay that for a while
I'd smash that POS into chunks and dump it all in 55 gallon drums and ship it back. Add a note that you're not in the business of packing machines.
I feel your pain and IMO, if you have to spend all this time and effort to repack a machine with such serious issues, you should be compensated with a substantial discount or upgrade in machinery. Unfortunately, you have to fight tooth and nail for what a company should just come out and offer you after it's determined it's not owner ignorance.

I agree with the recommendation that a packing/shipping company should be sent to your home to clean up Grizzly's mess if you don't want to deal with it. I'd have no reservations contacting my credit card either if Grizzly wanted to make it difficult.

I had a similar problem a few months ago with a dishwasher. A $1200 dishwasher, to boot. I received 3....yes, 3 of them in a row that all had damage despite all the external packaging being in place. Dented tubs, small dents in the stainless that couldn't be seen until the protective cover was removed, a tweaked hinge. I loaded up the first one and they came and got the next two. Talk about frustrating.....