Sandpaper
Hi All,
I have a silly question. I've been a long time viewer and subscriber to Woodsmith Magazine and the TV show. I noticed every time they build any kind of jig they use sandpaper with an adhesive strip. I think that's a great feature. My question is I looked everywhere as well as online but I can't seem to find where do you buy this sandpaper and what grit do you need. I want to make an extension for my miter guide and sandpaper backing would be a nice feature. Any input would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
Just buy double sided tape and use whatever abrasive you desire to make the sticky stuff you want. There are actually not very many abrasives available in sheet or roll form that have the adhesive on them, and quite frankly they are outrageously priced for how simple a home shop owner can make their own.

An office supply store will have it probably cheaper and in more types than a place like the Borg. The best I have found (and we use it in 4' wide rolls at work) is a 3M one that comes with a white vinyl release liner. Unfortunately I don't know the product number because we get it directly from one of our plants and it does not have a number on it.
For a small project like yours, I would buy a small roll of the thinnest 2 sided tape I could find on my next trip to a hardware store. It's useful stuff to have around anyway. 150 or 120 grit works fine for me.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Try Klingspor. They have lots and lots of adhesive-backed sheets of sandpaper.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category....2=ADHESIVE

If those don't work for you, run over to the hardware store or a craft store and purchase a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

Just be mindful of overspray. One surface for temporary bonds and both surfaces for a permanent one.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Thanks so much.... 2 sided tape is a great idea I can probably go to Harbor Freight and buy some cheap belt sander paper to adhere it to. Thanks everyone!
Richard D. said:

Just be mindful of overspray. One surface for temporary bonds and both surfaces for a permanent one.

+1
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
FWIW, the clear 3M doubleback tape does not stick very well if there is any dust at all. It IS very thin, but it is hard to get it stuck down without the end getting folded back.

Lots of good advice above.

What I did not see mentioned was that the search term you want is "PSA sandpaper roll"

The PSA is Pressure Sensitive Adhesive. You can get PSA sandpaper in rolls and disks.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
AHill said:

Try Klingspor. They have lots and lots of adhesive-backed sheets of sandpaper.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category....2=ADHESIVE

If those don't work for you, run over to the hardware store or a craft store and purchase a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.

+1 for Klingspor. Top notch outfit.
Depending on where you live, in the spring you can often find "weather striping" type kits on sale for short money. When I lived in New Emgland, almost every hardware store had these kits at huge discounts as soon as the weather got nice. These are the kits with plastic and double face tape for sealing windows in the winter. Sometimes they even sell just the rolls of tape.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.