The Devil lies in the details
Derek,
Dazzling work! The chest looks beautiful in its place in your home. Thank you for the lesson about shaping handles to the drawer fronts and for many other lessons over the past months.

Several months ago you expressed concern about the mass effect of the wild grain of all the closely-spaced drawer fronts, if I remember right. I was a little surprised at your proposed solution of simply spacing them slightly. The finished piece shows the wisdom of your approach. Simply beautiful.
Beautiful! Outstanding! Awesome! Again!

Wonderful work and even more wonderful play by play build along.

Thank you! Again!

So what's next
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
What's next Curt is to paint the house and then build 25 Shaker kitchen doors in Maple. I've purchased a Domino for this!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Ahhh yes, the good old DIY trick. Please elaborate upon the edge work you do on the stiles and rails, both front and back.

For 25 doors, I'd get a Domino also.

Actually, we just bought 15 of the cheapest BORG base kitchen cabinets for my office. My wife declared she wanted it done before I die. I'll build the uppers from a stash of curly soft maple + added maple ply. So walnut flooring, Java stained something and a walnut ply counter top edged with walnut. I think the curly maple on top of all that dark will look good.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Please elaborate upon the edge work you do on the stiles and rails, both front and back.

Hi Curt, I assume you are referring to the coves on the frame-and-panel construction?

I wrote about this here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/L...hest4.html

.. and here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/C...Panel.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Well, as they say down under, Krikey Mate!

Fantastic work. That is a work of love, that much is certain.
Thanks for the refresher

Actually, what I meant was that, assuming a flat panel (from the use of the word Shaker) you will have a lot of edges to treat on all those rails and stiles. Perhaps just a simple round over or something more Derek style difficult? Going to do them individually or in great, long lengths? By hand or tailed router. That many doors justifies setting up a production line with as many tailed tools as you can bring to bear.

Just curious
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Hi Curt

Ah yes, the kitchen cabinets ... definitely tailed tools. I want it finished in a reasonable time (my life time!). Horses for courses. I do have and use these machines or roughing out. A Domino will speed up the time-consuming joinery. I plan to finish with hand tools. Shaker style is simple and the the design does not use mouldings.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Great job, Derek! A fine result, well worth the effort and anxiety. I suspect your wife will want to keep you around a bit longer now.

When you mentioned bringing the drawers in from the cold of the workshop, it threw me for a second, until my coffee kicked in, and I remembered what season it is in Oz.

Best of luck with the cabinets, but be careful with the Domino. Hate to see you come down with a case of the "Bell Bottom Blues"!

Dave
That is really stunning work Derek.. nicely done