Pocket screws for holding top to apron
Phil, I have attached tops with your method, many times, although with the screws going in at a 90 degree angle, not in pockets.

I make the hole for the screw slotted so it can move.
So far, so good. (I have had some pieces for over 10 years without cracking).
Now, I am not claiming this is the best method, but it works.
Thank you all.

I will get some z-clips. Rockler shows them out of stock online but maybe the store will have some.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Phil Thien said:

Thank you all.

I will get some z-clips. Rockler shows them out of stock online but maybe the store will have some.

Lee Valley has them.
Hank Gillette
Don't give up on pocket screws so quickly. The Townsend-Goddard's used pocket screws to hold on table tops on some of the finest furniture ever made in America. Over 200 years and still holding strong and without splitting the top. Obviously they had enough space around the screw for the wood to expand and contract, but still. Check out a copy of "Master Craftsmen of Newport" to see the pics.
Semper Audere!
a screw is a screw, just drill the apron hole larger and do not overtighten the screw to allow for movement