Guy on gun forum needs help with hardwood flooring
Hope you can see it without registering. Sounds like he's got a "good" problem

I don't know enough to help him but figured someone here might.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Properly reduced Simple Green does a remarkable job cleaning ungodly gunk and adhesive residues from finished hardwood flooring. De-Solv-It Contractors Solvent also works super-well on the thickest nastiest shmutz and neither will harm an oil-based polyurethane type floor finish.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Woodenfish said:

neither will harm an oil-based polyurethane type floor finish.

How about a "Pre-Poly" finish?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I'm not fully certain with what you're asking but, polyurethane finishes were invented in 1937. Tung oil varnishes have been around a long, long time. Either way, both of these finishes are fully cured and neither of those cleaning products suggested will dissolve the finish. Like most wood floor cleaners, use them sparingly as to not saturate the wood and cause moisture related problems.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Those are wet stains or dirt stains most likely and have stained the wood very deep and they won't come out.
I chose to go with the look and further stained the wood after sanding to make it look old.

Other than that, he will have to replace it as far as I know. Unless he wants to sand it paper thin.