Sherwin-Williams sale frequency
Hi all,

I'm about to start a house repaint and need a fairly large amount of paint. LOML has decided we want a SW brand.

We missed the July 4 40% off "sale" and just figured we would have to bite the bullet on the price.

Looking today at SW website they currently have a 4 day "event" with 40% off.

I don't know how much paint I'm going to need so am reluctant to by an excessive amount just to get the sale price.

This might be a prolonged process as my son is very slow, but...

How frequently does SW run these sales? Is it every other week like this seems to indicate?

I HATE the games that SW plays with prices.

thanks,
chris
SW is a goofy company with very goofy business practices. Their sales seem to be every 2 to 3 months and seem to be getting more frequent.

I quit using their paint when two houses went from brown to pink in less than 6 months. They also quit selling the stain that I liked. I now use what the paint contractors use and that's behr and some Glidden products.
Been using SW for decades with zero problems. Cannot say the same for other brands---specifically Glidden and Behr(used when customers wanted those brands)

SW is like most other companies, sales all the time. When you go into the store, take the approximate square footage numbers, room numbers, exterior sq. ft. numbers and the folks there will give you an close estimate for the amount needed.

Be aware different types of paint have different coverage areas and also that the primer and primer color will affect the end result.
Not sure about the sale but I have a $150 off $500 coupon that expires on the 18th you can have
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

K. L, McReynolds said:

Been using SW for decades with zero problems. Cannot say the same for other brands---specifically Glidden and Behr(used when customers wanted those brands)

SW is like most other companies, sales all the time. When you go into the store, take the approximate square footage numbers, room numbers, exterior sq. ft. numbers and the folks there will give you an close estimate for the amount needed.

Be aware different types of paint have different coverage areas and also that the primer and primer color will affect the end result.

Yes, technically SW has good products. Commercially, they are a PITA dealing with all the "sales", accounts, and other crapola in dealing with them. Typically I refuse to play this game, and yes it's a game, but LOML has chosen a specific paint (Duration) so there isn't a lot to discuss.

Amount of paint needed is not that simple. It's an exterior, we plan on airless spraying it, and (hopefully) the son, who has never done this before, will be spraying it. I've got a XR7 with a 0.017 tip recommended to spray the Duration.

A quick SketchUp check indicates "about" 3,000 sq ft. Duration covers 250-300 sq ft/gal per the documentation. So I'm gonna get 15 gallons and go from there.

Duration is espoused to be a one coat, primerless system. The color we are covering up is not drastically different than what we are spraying. So hopefully the product lives up to the marketing....
chris
Bob10 said:

Not sure about the sale but I have a $150 off $500 coupon that expires on the 18th you can have

Bob,

Thanks, but the 40% off is a better deal at this juncture. The Duration that LOML wants is listed at $42.59/gal vs the "normal" price of $70.99/gal before the 10% "homeowner" discount.
chris
why wouldn't it stack? The 40% doesn't require a coupon from what I see in that email. I was thinking this would be in addition.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

doobes said:

Duration is espoused to be a one coat, primerless system. The color we are covering up is not drastically different than what we are spraying. So hopefully the product lives up to the marketing....

I think that is the stuff my neighbor used about 15 years ago. It has held up amazingly well. I remember him telling me what he was paying per gallon back then and it took my breath away a little bit. But can't argue with the results.

New homeowner is now painting because he wants to change colors. But the paint is still is pretty good shape.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Find a friend who is a professional painter and have them buy it for you if you miss the sale.
SW doesn't give much if any discount on duration to contractors, better to use the coupon.