Sherwin-Williams sale frequency
(09-07-2016, 06:56 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: How much extra did you expect (plan for)? Looks great by the way. Did the sprayer work well? What did he use?

Two claims that scare me are "Primerless" and "One Coat"

Although:
Technically, Primer isn't needed over existing paint as long as the existing paint is in good shape.
Technically. One coat will cover but not to my satisfaction. I also feel that spraying always takes more than one coat for a couple reasons. The 2nd coat hides the stripes and spraying lays out a thinner coat than brushing/rolling.

Another thing about buying all at once vs buying a little at a time. The paint won't match. It's really impossible to mix paint the same twice. There's a ton of variables that throw off tint when mixing. Even a basic white has five or six tints in it, colors have a lot more and each tint varies from lot to lot. Even if the tint quantities are exactly the same (which is near impossible), the tints themselves have an "acceptable industry variance" that doesn't always coincide with "Wife's acceptable variance". Even the "white" base color in the can prior to mixing changes from one lot to another.

If you do use different lots, don't use them on the same plane or the same side of the house. They will look different anyway because of the way the light hits is.

It keeps fine if you keep the cans closed and mix well before using.

I thought I would have a gallon or two extra.... Oh well. There is definitely enough if I want to shoot another coat.
Smile

I bought a refurb Graco Magnum X7 from CJ Spray.  It was the price of a new X5 but had a bit more horsepower for the thicker paint.

cheers,
chris
(09-07-2016, 06:56 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Another thing about buying all at once vs buying a little at a time. The paint won't match.

FWIW, it seems the technology has improved dramatically.  I recently had to buy paint from the box store three different times (long story), matched to a custom color.  The first time they color matched it, the last two they used the formula figured out the first time.  To my surprise, there is absolutely no detectable difference in color.  Ended up using the remains of the three cans on one wall as a test, and no one can tell which part was painted with which can, the color is identical.
There is quite a differenc between Behr white and SW white. Found that out painting the interior of my garage with leftover paints.

Granted, it's not too noticeable but it's white. SW Super White and Behr Bright White. Both high gloss. Nothing to add.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".