Range Hood Q's
Facts:
I don't have one, or a microwave oven.
I don't want a microwave oven.
I do live in a condo, so outside venting is impossible.
There is a cavity above my gas range for either a microwave or a hood.
There is power.
I desire a hood.

Questions are, will the hood trap smoke from the gas range effectively?

I see a wide range of prices at Home Depot for hoods.
Does one get what one pays for?

Ag
In a nutshell, any design of non-venting range hood whether as a stand alone hood or part of a microwave oven performs one duty. That is to filter any large rising grease splatter and send through any finer particle, smoke and cooking odor. You can not capture smoke with a range hood only exhaust it outside.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
There are ones that have replaceable carbon filters. You will need to stock up on them as they don't last long.

It's a fan and a metal hood. Some higher end ones are quieter but not drastically quieter. I have put in a couple pricey ones and they were almost identical to the $150 one I bought off ebay. In fact some of the parts were the same.

Range type doesn't have much bearing on how the hood works. For the best effectiveness you want a hood wider than your cooktop. I have a 36" hood over a 30" cooktop a wider hood was much more $.

Make sure you can get replacement charcoal filters for whatever you choose and the prices are affordable as you will go through them often if you cook.
Thank you for your informative reply!
Will heed your advise.
Ag
Thank you Woodenfish!
gas stove and no vent to outside?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

96 units.
Is it on outside wall? If so, vent directly out, nothing says venting has to be up through a ceiling.

In some cases, Even if it's on and interior wall, if the cabinets have a soffit or space above, go up and then rout to an outside wall in the soffit or space between cabinets and ceiling.
A lot of jurisdictions still permit nonvented residential gas ranges, often it's the only nonvented appliance still permitted. I would strongly recommend a hood that vents outside.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have a non-venting range hood in my kitchen.  If I grill hamburgers (several) in a cast iron skillet I am OK with one or two, but if I cook more than that my smoke detector goes off.  I don't know if that is an anomaly or if it is commonplace  but it is my experience.  

When I lived in a condo I had a window in the kitchen and I put in a whole house window fan from Graingers.  It had louvers and would cool off the entire condo.  It also quickly  exhausted smoke if the detectors went off.

https://www.grainger.com/product/AIR-KIN...timage$

I had automatically closing louvers.  I might have bought that as a separate item.  I cannot remember anymore.  It was over 20 years ago.

In the summer I would come home and turn it on.  If it was really hot and humid I would leave it on for about 5 minutes while the AC units cooled off.  It allowed the AC to cool the apartment much quicker.  But most nights the fan was sufficient.  Make sure you close the windows near the fan or it will not do much.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.