Excalibur blade cover
I have an Excalibur blade guard and it's missing the braces that run underneath the extension wing. I'm planning to make some but could use some help with dimensions. Is there anyone here who owns this guard that could measure the braces and give me the dimensions? Thanks.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
I've got one, I'll try to find them (we moved and they are here somewhere) and get the length.

edit: found them, the braces themselves are 27 1/2" end to end, and the eye bolts are 4". How about that, they were right on top of their pile.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Fred. Any chance you could tell me the width and thickness?
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Yeppir, they are 1" wide and 1/8" thick.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Much obliged. I should be able to make them from that.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
The install is pretty straight forward, but in case you need a pic for reference:

[Image: IMG_1807_1024.jpg]
Thanks Cian, that is helpful. I'm going to have to fashion the little angle brackets that mount to the side of the extension wing too. Shouldn't be too hard.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
The Excalibur is one of my best investments.  Couldn't use my tablesaw (or wouldn't want to) in my basement shop without one.  I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

[Image: IMG_1781.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1802_1024.jpg]

Let me know if you need any further pics.

Btw, while I have your attention, please see this thread in the basement about problems with embedded images:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7320548
Vince, I found those brackets to be a real pain, they were in the way of using the area under the extension they way I wanted....so I didn't use them. Instead (this won't work for everybody) I bolted a piece of angle iron to the floor right where the foot of the upright sit, then I used a U bolt to fasten the foot to the angle iron. This has the undeniable disadvantage of having to be undone if you want to move the saw for any reason; but that was less of a problem for me than having those brackets in the way.
Cian -- I'm not an IT guy, so I'm afraid I can't help you on the photo question. I will pass it along to the system administrator though. For what it's worth, I couldn't see your photos at first (I'm using Firefox). If I right click on the link and select view image, then I can see them.

Fred-- That sounds like a good solution. I have a finished floor in my basement shop, so I'm reluctant to drill any holes in it. I bought the guard at one of our company fire sales and the braces were missing. I've been using it for awhile now without them, but it's starting to sag so much that I can't really even use it as is. I bent some steel bar stock into the brackets and braces last night and just need to do a little grinding and drill some holes. The parts are available from General, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay what they are asking when I can make them myself.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator